CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

What should I be looking for in weight loss?

Old 08-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
MysticExotics
I'm on the fence about getting babies to grow fast. I've heard of people who feed every few days, which I feel is probably too much, but I feel a 5 day feeding schedule is fine.
Some people feel that is power feeding.

My feedings are not consistently every 5 days or every 7 days, etc, due to my schedule.
It is also partially intentional, because snakes in the wild do not feed on a set schedule, and sometimes their meals are closer together, sometimes further apart, when they find food.

My babies are all fed on the same schedule (aside from during shed process) and I have had babies form the same clutch grow at drastically different rates. Some would be on hoppers, while some would be at adult mouse size, all fed on the same schedule.

That said, (IMO) babies in the wild are going to want to eat and grow fast, because the longer they stay small, the higher risk they are at becoming a meal for another animal.

I'm more conservative in feeding, for the most part. I do periodically ramp up feeding (every 5 or 6 days usually, on occasion it might be 4 days in between a feeding, but not often), but overall, I usually feed about ever 7 days for most, and spread out every 2-3 weeks on adult males.
My Irian Jaya male usually gets fed every 2-3 weeks. He gets small/medium rats sometimes, and a couple large adult mice other times.

I do have a friend who does believe that "power feeding" can lead to unhealthy snakes and early death. He works with mostly Carpet Pythons, and on some that have died early, he has done a necropsy, and they have been power fed, and have heavy fat deposits. He choses to feed conservatively.
My thought on that is due to being fed rats. In the wild, many of the Carpet Pythons often feed on lower fat prey, like birds, and I think a consistent diet of captive bred rats leads to unhealthy snakes. (Which is why I alternate with mice on my IJ, and my Granite IJ that is on breeder loan gets ASF's or mice and not regular rats.) It is also why I never feed rats to my Cornsnakes or Kingsnakes.

I think a variety of prey would be healthiest, and while I am out of stock, I have offered baby chicks and quail to some of my snakes on occasion.

In reference to this post, I have not seen any current photos of Tango, so I cannot say whether he is overweight or just further in growth for his age. I have seen 800-900 gram Cornsnakes that were not at all overweight, just large.

Edit to add: In THIS thread, from less than a month ago, when you first got Tango, he does not look overweight to me. He looks like he's got that "loaf of bread" shape that they are supposed to. The photo of him in the enclosure, his belly looks flat, which is not overweight.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #12
Dragonling
I thought I would be religious about feeding this year's hatchlings every 5 days, but here I am frequently letting them go to 7 since I have been lazy about posting any for sale (waiting for shipping materials to arrive now). I do agree that true powerfeeding is probably unhealthy (if only because many snakes will just start regurging), but yes, I've had people claim my feeding schedule (when I follow it) is far too aggressive. The folks claming 100g/year of growth is healthy would probably be upset about Delta...she gained around 300 in a year and produced two healthy clutches this summer, 25 babies total all 8g+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I think a variety of prey would be healthiest, and while I am out of stock, I have offered baby chicks and quail to some of my snakes on occasion.
This is why I looooove the mega blend Reptilinks. They have a little bit of everything in 'em. For the ones that will eat them, it's great for adding variety to their diet.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
LadyJemima
Quote:
Edit to add: In THIS thread, from less than a month ago, when you first got Tango, he does not look overweight to me. He looks like he's got that "loaf of bread" shape that they are supposed to. The photo of him in the enclosure, his belly looks flat, which is not overweight.
His belly is flat. Isn't it amazing how information about snake weight varies depending on the source? The vet said that she could "see his skin between his scales" (and you definitely can at his widest) ...but whatever. As long as I am feeding him a M or L mouse every two weeks, I think he will maintain his weight nicely. I do believe that two adult mice a week, as fed by his previous owner, was WAY too much for him, though.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #14
DollysMom
Pictures can be misleading, but he looks healthy and muscular to me in the picture. Of course your vet saw him in person and is in a better position to evaluate. I don't know about you, but I really appreciate having a good relationship with a competent vet on this journey!

Like everyone else, shed, travel, and other factors put some natural irregularities in the schedule that help to mimic nature. I never fret if I have to feed a few days early or late. I really agree that it doesn't hurt and is probably good for them.

The reason you are getting other that what you asked for in your original question, is that there is no way to answer your original question. There is no formula and so many variables. Besides don't take some of where the thread has gone, personally. Sometimes threads morph a bit. This one has become a valuable feeding and weight discussion for all, and is definitely not all aimed at you and Tango!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
Dragonling
I have a habit of drifting topic-wise lol. Tango looks great to me in those photos. I have a 7 year old male around 550g that has a very similar body shape.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #16
Karl_Mcknight
I agree, he / she? looks very healthy to me

Old 08-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #17
MysticExotics
For being young, and still growing, I wouldn't say he was being fed "way" to much.
As his owner, it's your prerogative to reduce his feedings to maintain, that's completely up to you. Keep in mind he is still young, and growing, so watch for any signs of triangulation, spine starting to show, with reduced size of prey and spacing out his feedings that far. If that occurs, you will want to increase his prey size and/or bump him up to weekly feedings.

He looks great, I see no signs of him being overfed/overweight. Very nice looking snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google