CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > FAQ Development Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

FAQ Development Forum This area is reserved for the development and discussion of various FAQ documents for posting on this site. PLEASE! Only the moderator should post original threads here.

Genetics/Morph FAQ

Old 05-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
MaeglinCalaelen
Quote:
Q: What morphs are co-dominant?
A: Bloodred (diffused) is co-dominant to the wild type gene, while ultra is co-dominant to amelanism, however both are recessive to the wild type gene.
I think you didn't ment it this way, but some can think that you says that bloodred and ultra are recessive to the wild type gene. At least I did, then I read it again and saw that I had misinterprented it and that you hadn't made a mistake. Could be because English isn't my first language, I don't know, just wanted to say. Nice job anyway

Old 05-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
babbaloo99
No offense, but I pretty much learned everything on here in the Corn Snake Morph Guide and just keep it handy.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #13
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeglinCalaelen
I think you didn't ment it this way, but some can think that you says that bloodred and ultra are recessive to the wild type gene. At least I did, then I read it again and saw that I had misinterprented it and that you hadn't made a mistake. Could be because English isn't my first language, I don't know, just wanted to say. Nice job anyway
True, I would word it like this:

Q: Are there any codominant genes?

A: The (D<sup>D</sup>) diffusion gene is (variably) codominant to (D<sup>+</sup>) it's wild-type counterpart. The (a<sup>a</sup>) amel and (a<sup>u</sup>) ultra genes are codominant to each other, and both are recessive to (A<sup>+</sup>) their wild-type counterpart.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:05 PM   #14
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBurkeIII
you may want to stop putting everybody who deals with boas into one group joe...not to mention the joy you get on putting others down is a bit disheartening. sometimes i just dont get what the need is for you to do it?
Not putting everyone into one group, I know better than that. I was referring to 'boa guys' as the guys in the room last night that simply refused to listen and discuss with an open mind.

Putting down? Perhaps. But the point is that they're flat out wrong, and just totally unwilling to listen. I guess from now on I'll just steer clear, I just do not understand how they're so blind about genetics.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #15
paulh
I know what you mean about the boa people, Joe. I've gone a few rounds with them on kingsnake.com. There are a few good people, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Q: What is meant by a gene being dominant?
A: A gene that is expressed phenotypically in heterozygous or homozygous individuals.
It would be worth adding something like this:

"Dominant" either implies or expressly states a comparison with another gene. If the comparison is unstated, it is always to the wild type allele. Example: In ringneck doves, blond is a recessive mutant gene (meaning recessive to the wild type allele). Blond is also dominant to the white allele.

Something similar should go into the definition of "recessive" and "codominant".

Some minor points include changing the spelling from "co-dominant" to "codominant" and using superscripts in the gene symbols instead of putting the superscript and base symbol all on one line.

It would be worth adding "wild type" and "characteristic", too.

Q: What is meant by wild type?
A: The wild type phenotype is the most common phenotype found in the wild population. The wild type allele is the allele at each locus that is required to produce the wild type phenotype. There are thousands of loci in the corn snake genome, and there is a wild type allele at each locus. If a gene is not expressly identified, it is assumed to be wild type.

If anything that occurs in the wild is wild type, then anerythristic corns are wild type. The "most common phenotype" avoids that pitfall and drops Miamis and Okeetees out of wild type, too.

Q: What is meant by a characteristic?
A: A characteristic is anything in the phenotype that differs from the wild type phenotype.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:53 AM   #16
Susan
Don't forget motley and stripe as co-dominant.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 PM   #17
Shep151
If you're going to call them codom, you may want to specify that Motley and Stripe are codominant with respect to each other, not truly codominant genes.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:27 PM   #18
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep151
If you're going to call them codom, you may want to specify that Motley and Stripe are codominant with respect to each other, not truly codominant genes.
Any two genes that are codominant to each other are truly codominant genes. So if motley/stripe created an intermediate "motley and striped" phenoptype, they would truly be codominant.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #19
Clint Boyer
So, they are simple recessive co-dominant genes?

Old 09-18-2005, 11:39 PM   #20
Shep151
But when bred to a wild-type... Recessive!

Seems misleading. If I bought a Motley, knowing very little and doing very little or no research (as waaaayyyyyy too many people do), and the breeder told me that Motley and Stripe are codominant genes, I would think that -bred to a normal- I could expect some Motleys in the clutch.
I'm just pointing out that when you call Motley and Stripe codominant, you may want to indicate that it is recessive to wild-type, as you did with Ultra in Post #13.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google