CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

how and when to clean?

Old 02-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
hediki
how and when to clean?

how often do you clean the viv and change substate and how do you clean it and with wat? thanx

Old 02-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Tracee
I have a proper clean-out every two weeks but I just own the one snake, so I have the time to. I've never read a guideline as such that advises you as to how often you should, other than 'regularly'. Will be interested to see others' input on this one

Old 02-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Missy
you only need to do spot checks whenever needed, just scooping out poop or picking out skin
a proper clean out, i normally do this once every 3 - 6 months, it just isnt needed anymore, unless you have had a case of mites, ticks, RI's or anything like that, then yes by all means fully and properly clean it out.
anything more than that can really stress them out, they love their surroundings once they get settled in, they know it, and if you clean them out way to often than needed its gonna be new surroundings to your little one all the time and that would continuously freak him/her out. snakes are very clean animals, it just isnt neccessary personally.
just my opinions.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
HadesBP18
I clean Hades' tank every 2 weeks with a bleach and water solution. Sometimes I just use regular Dial Soap. I just plop the aquarium in the bathtub and go to town. I dry it off and then vaccum the small crevices and corners. I also either throw out his hide boxes or clean them.

The change in substrate depends. Since I use newspaper (and I get it for free) I change it more frequently. If he has a water spill for some reason, if he poops, and after a feed I change it. I'm a neat freak only when it comes to my snake

Old 02-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
I do a complete tear down of my racks once a month and spot clean all tubs daily.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
Alias47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckkat
I do a complete tear down of my racks once a month and spot clean all tubs daily.
This is about my schedule...

I spot clean EVERYTHING daily...I will let the glass tanks go longer...because they are such a pain to clean...but all fecal matter and urates are removed on a daily basis...

I use Chlorhexidine solution to clean EVERYTHING....spray it on...wipe it off...done.
A lot easier than bleach and rinsing and all that nonsense...LOL

Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
hediki
thanx guys. i just may get a corn snake on april 24 @ the ny expo (im thinking of paying my moms landlord rent for the snake 20$ or a lil more a month). so now i have a very desent understanding of corns now so wish me goood luck.i even wrote a care sheet on my site (check it out) one of best. c ya

Old 02-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
darkpbstar
I have pretty much the same schedule is missy, I dont see how tearing apart and bleaching the whole viv every week is necessary, but hey, whatever.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
KatieL
I guess I've been doing a thorough clean on Sienna's tank every 3 to 4 weeks; throwing it in the tub, bleaching it and the non-substrate contents, then rinsing everything, and oven-drying all the wood. It sounds like a lot of work when I write it down here, but I only have Sienna right now, so its not too bad at all. After the issues with the mites at the beginning I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Other than that I just do a spot cleaning every day.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
JTGoff69
I spot clean every day and remove and replenish the substrate after disinfecting the viv (with novalsan, thanks Terri) every 2 weeks. Whether or not it makes a difference to the snakes, the smell of fresh aspen in my bedroom is always welcome!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google