CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Built in water dish/bath

Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Dakota314
Built in water dish/bath

My corn snake Nina is about 3 feet long, and her water dish is a tad to small for her to fit in. I'm thinking about buying a small piece of glass to fit the width of the tank, about 2 inches tall and glueing it in place with aquarium glue so I can fill the end of her tank with water. If you can picture what I'm getting at, what are your thoughts on this? I think it would be a pretty fun project

Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
susang
How will you keep it clean? It seems like it could easily get to warm and then you would have snake soup.
I think others have thought about this, but don't remember if anyone actually did.
Since they aren't really aquatic type snakes seems like a waste of space.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Dakota314
I was thinking of only making it a couple inches on the cool side of the tank. I don't think keeping it clean would be a big problem, just wipe it down with soap and water- but then again I don't know. I've been looking for a bigger water dish, but they are pretty expensive. I have also thought of making one, but again with the money thing. I can't seem to find cheap clay.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
ceduke
A big tupperware is cheaper than a tube of aquarium sealant.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Lennycorn
Yeah,,, I would keep that thought in the back of my mind till you have more time ""working"" your viv..... till then look at dog water dishes or check out thrift shop and like stated tupperware containers.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Firefur
having tried something similar with a frog tank i can tell you that will be a bitch and a half to clean, the water temp will fluctuate and annoy the hell out of you if you want to keep them constant. i would suggest either buying a big corner bowl, a big Tupperware will be cheaper

Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
KingCrimson<3
What kind of viv is your snake in? I went to Target and bought a storage box type thing that is rectangular and transparent, something like that could go in the corner and be just high enough to keep aspen from getting into the water and it would allow for your snake to drink and soak without breaking the bank or turning water changes into an enormous hassle. I scrub out my water bowls twice a week and change the water at least every other day and it is still a little slimy sometimes. Having to take to whole tank apart multiple times a week just for water changes seems like way too much trouble for me. If you want something aesthetically pleasing and cheap, be creative, terrarium decor stuff sold at petstores is WAY overpriced and usually doesn't work as well as the thing you found at the dollar store for, well, a dollar.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Dakota314
I have a 55 gallon aquarium now. I think I'll go with either tupperware or something like it. At the pet store, the bigger water dishes are over 35 dollars. It's insane.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Checkersthecornsnake
Tupperware's a good idea, changing the water with your idea would be CRAZY HARD ( the way i picture it). I had an extra dog bowl in my basement so I lucked out, but like you said clay would be good but also people have used glass ashtrays, and i think those a relatively cheap. Also it sounds like your on a budget, as am I, so if you want to make a nice hide (I think it looks nice anyways, better then store bought since my viv's pretty plain) I would make a popsicle stick hide, it cost like a dollar to make and super easy and kinda of fun to do while you watch T.V or what not. Heres a thread of the one I made with pictures.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112772 (Inspired by a DIY thread on here)

Old 06-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Dakota314
That's pretty cool. I like to make things and this summer is going to get pretty boring without something to do. I might just have to steal some popsicle sticks from my sister

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
dish, water