CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Water

Old 04-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #21
oooDAXooo
To tell the truth not summat I'd ever come across

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #22
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooDAXooo View Post
Never warmed the water to room temp
Well, it probably gets there before they drink any, anyway. But refrigerators will get the water WAY too cold for snakes. Warmth-loving reptiles don't need to be drinking water that is around the temperature that will kill them. You'd never feed them a 3 degree (Celsius) mouse. But it's sort of a moot point, I'm sure very little if any is drank while it is that cold.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #23
oooDAXooo
Maybe a bit over the top not to cause arguments but what happens in the wild a lot of streams rivers ect are going to be around those temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #24
Chip
I grew up in corn snake country. In the winter, sure, stream water will get near freezing, but the snakes are all underground then. I could always swim in the water of piedmont to coastal NC when it was snake season -it wasn't nearly that cold. But like I said, it's probably not going to matter, the odds of the snake going right to the bowl and drinking in the first 10 minutes you put fresh water in there is unlikely. It's just an unnecessary step, that probably wouldn't be appreciated if they had to drink it that cold. Fortunately, in a matter of minutes, a small container will reach room temp.

It's a sweet gesture, but these aren't mammals that control their body temperature, and thus can appreciate a cool drink.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #25
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Well, it probably gets there before they drink any, anyway. But refrigerators will get the water WAY too cold for snakes. Warmth-loving reptiles don't need to be drinking water that is around the temperature that will kill them. You'd never feed them a 3 degree (Celsius) mouse. But it's sort of a moot point, I'm sure very little if any is drank while it is that cold.
Perhaps it should be served in a daiquiri glass with a little umbrella.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #26
kc261
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooDAXooo View Post
Maybe a bit over the top not to cause arguments but what happens in the wild a lot of streams rivers ect are going to be around those temps
I don't know about anyone else, but I quite enjoy good intellectual conversations like this, and I think it opens up opportunities for all of us to learn new things.

I suspect there are not very many times/places where wild corns would be drinking from streams that are at fridge temps. Their range is in the southeast US. South of course makes it fairly warm, and being in the east rather than the west means there aren't that many high, snow covered mountains for cold snow-melt runoff to be coming from. And the time of the year when it would be that cold is when they are in brumation.

However, I think your point in general is valid, even if not for corns in particular. It is just something that should be evaluated on a species by species basis, not assumed to be true for all species, because of course their natural habitats vary widely.

Also, as others have pointed out, I don't think your herps are likely drinking enough of the cold water in the time before it warms up to have a negative effect on them. It just seems an odd choice to me to give them chilled water, but not a harmful one.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #27
ThFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
Perhaps it should be served in a daiquiri glass with a little umbrella.
Yes! Awesome!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
water