CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Male on Hunger Strike!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:28 AM   #31
RedCloud
Well as an update, I'm gonna try feed him this week. Today I was changing his water and decided to take him out to check on him, and he felt SQUISHY. Not really his neck area but more his mid body and tail. And when he moves I can kinda see his spine. Not ultra prominent but it's worrying me lol He's been all over his tank and is very active so idk why he would loose muscle tone?! He was very well behaved, no striking or anything. If anything he seemed more chill then usual, but still seemed to want to roam about like normal. Should I be worried about his squishyness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #32
smigon
I think he is "squishy" from losing muscle mass, he will bulk back up. It was a weird spring, so I have some "squishy" snakes too! Just feed him, take him out often and let him explore to help with exercise. He should be fine!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #33
Rigby & Marcy
Mine still isn't eating. He's starting to look pretty bad. I can say I'm proficient in braining a mouse though! Marcy was very excited about Rigby's brained leftovers. :/

Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #34
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
Well as an update, I'm gonna try feed him this week. Today I was changing his water and decided to take him out to check on him, and he felt SQUISHY. Not really his neck area but more his mid body and tail. And when he moves I can kinda see his spine. Not ultra prominent but it's worrying me lol He's been all over his tank and is very active so idk why he would loose muscle tone?! He was very well behaved, no striking or anything. If anything he seemed more chill then usual, but still seemed to want to roam about like normal. Should I be worried about his squishyness?

Hold it! Are you positive he's a male? Because you are describing "jello butt" to a T. The condition a female is in right before laying eggs. I'd throw a lay box in with him ASAP- just in case...

Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #35
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Hold it! Are you positive he's a male? Because you are describing "jello butt" to a T. The condition a female is in right before laying eggs. I'd throw a lay box in with him ASAP- just in case...

Haha jello butt xD
He was sold to me as a male but I've never had a vet opinion or had him sexed in front of me. Are there any other "female" things he might be doing during this time? He has been super active and on a hunger strike so I just figured those are male things? Should I replace once of his hides with a lay box? Cause there's not much room in his Viv with the giant water dish and 2 hides lol

Old 05-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #36
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby & Marcy View Post
Mine still isn't eating. He's starting to look pretty bad. I can say I'm proficient in braining a mouse though! Marcy was very excited about Rigby's brained leftovers. :/

Jez poor guy I hate when any of my animals don't eat. It's so frustrating. Especially with snakes cause there's limited things to do with their food to make them eat it. At least with my cat, I can just give him some "junk" cat food and he'll chow down. Hopefully your guy snaps out of it soon

Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #37
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
I think he is "squishy" from losing muscle mass, he will bulk back up. It was a weird spring, so I have some "squishy" snakes too! Just feed him, take him out often and let him explore to help with exercise. He should be fine!

Haha I hope it's just that! I keep trying to remember exactly how he felt before. Now I'm worrying so much my brain is playing tricks on me. I mean, he's def MORE squishy, but I'm having a hard time remembering if he was a little squishy in the beginning. Ah!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #38
ashleynicole
I think if its a female it is restless because it's looking for somewhere to lay. Put a box with damp spagnum moss in and see if he/she takes to it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Old 05-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #39
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
Should I replace once of his hides with a lay box? Cause there's not much room in his Viv with the giant water dish and 2 hides lol
Yes, and do it ASAP. This is why I lost Snow a few weeks ago, I had no idea she needed to lay and as soon as the box went in she went in it and laid 12 tiny slugs, crawled out and died. She (if it is a she!) won't need the hides, the box is a hide in itself. I made it on the fly with a regular shoebox and put a hole on one end. If she needs to lay and needs it now, you will only need the box for a few days, once she lays you can take it out and toss it and the slugs. I will have a more appropriate box (or several!) for Scarlett (and whoever else comes along this year) for next spring.

Good luck, I hope it gets figured out soon!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #40
RedCloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
Yes, and do it ASAP. This is why I lost Snow a few weeks ago, I had no idea she needed to lay and as soon as the box went in she went in it and laid 12 tiny slugs, crawled out and died. She (if it is a she!) won't need the hides, the box is a hide in itself. I made it on the fly with a regular shoebox and put a hole on one end. If she needs to lay and needs it now, you will only need the box for a few days, once she lays you can take it out and toss it and the slugs. I will have a more appropriate box (or several!) for Scarlett (and whoever else comes along this year) for next spring.

Good luck, I hope it gets figured out soon!

Woah he/she/it is getting a hide box ASAP. Should it be make of something like cardboard or can it be see through like a humid hide? Should I put it on the warm side or cool side? If Chipotle turns out to be a female, that snake place is gonna hear it from me >.> I would rather them tell me they don't know the gender then make something up. At least then I would have had him sexed by a professional and been prepared for the situation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeding problem, not eating, snake wont eat