CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Female Breeding Age

Old 08-29-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
Meat!
Female Breeding Age

Hi. i am quite new to looking after corns. i have 3 now. 2 males and 1 female. the male is and adult about 3ft the female is about 18 inches and the other male is about 14 inches. anyway. i have had them seperated for a while now, but about a month ago i put the baby female in with the male not realy thinking about eggs or anything. then i relised they might mate. but i am not sure if the female can actually get pregnant. i dont really want her to. will somebody plz tell me if there is the possibilty so i can seperate them before she does. to my knoledge she isnt yet.

i would be gratefull for any advice!

Old 08-29-2002, 05:46 PM   #2
kris (UK)
GET HER OUTTA THERE!!!!!

This could end up with your corn getting seriously damaged, and as some corn owners could probaably tell you, result in death! Im not trying to scare you but its true. If your female gets pregnant (gravid), (and i think it is possible for her to get gravid at this size!!), it could lead to MAJOR implications.

A female corn should be AT THE VERY LEAST of 3 feet to start breeding, and she should have a decent girth on her aswell so she can handle those eggs inside her.

So if i were you, i would take her out from the male asap, to be safe.

Kris

Old 08-29-2002, 06:03 PM   #3
Neil
Kris is right

Corns shouldn't really be housed together anyway and it is especially risky when a male and a female are together, and just plain daft if the female is only half the minimum breeding size.

Another risk is the size difference between the male and the female. If the male is twice the size of the female then it is probably causing some serious stress. My advise would be to take the female out RIGHT NOW and not put her back in with the male until she is [at least] three feet long and quite fat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google