• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dent in Corn's eye cap? (Images included)

Koka_Corn

This morning, whilst watching my little buddy I noticed that he has a dent in his eyecap.

It's definitely not a retained eyecap or a bad shed as I am always very careful to check that they come out with his shed. He only shed about 2 weeks ago and it was perfect.

I took him out immediately after noticing; doesn't have any wrinkles, his scales are shiny and smooth as always, not dry or cracked at all, so I'm unsure if it's dehydration.

His humidity often stays around 40% but can go up to 50% and he has a large water bowl that he drank from today after it was changed & a humid hide with sphagnum moss. Haven't seen him drinking more or bathing more than usual.

I moved his water dish closer to his lamp just to bring up the humidity a little bit.

He's active as always and climbing around so nothing different or worrying about his behaviour, and he doesn't seem uncomfortable or in pain.

Searching it up it always comes to two conclusions; dehydration or retained eyecap, and as said it's definitely not a retained eyecap and I see no obvious signs of dehydration.
Is it possible he's just hit his eye off of something and that's caused the dent? He does tend to get a little scuff here and there on his scales from adventuring around his tank, but never a dented eye, then again I only noticed it today when the light hit it just right.

He's on aspen substrate, which I know can bring the humidity down, although he's been on it for 4 years and i've never had issues with dehydration.

Apologies for the long post. I just want to give as much info as possible to make sure he's okay.

Anything I can do for the dent or is it just something to let the next shed take care of? And is there anything to keep watch for? Cheers.

Images of his dented eyecap; https://postimg.cc/gallery/bqS2TD8
Images of his okay eye; https://postimg.cc/gallery/HgHWYZP/96b6afc7

Unfortunately had to use the flash on him as that was the easiest way to see the dent. Sorry, Koka.

Huh, that is weird. Anything sharp he could've poked himself on? Or any small gaps he might have gotten his head wedged into?

Something I can actually think of is his makeshift basking spot. He likes to squeeze through the gap between it and the wall. It consists of two wooden platforms with 3 slate slabs glued together ontop of it. They were the kind made to eat off of and are smoothed down a lot, however looking at this one hanging off, i can definitely see him poking himself while squeezing past. It's probably the newest thing in his tank and is a few months old.

Yikes, gonna take it out and sand it down. Sorry Koka.

If it is damage will it correct itself in the next shed or does it call for a vet?

Attachments

• 1000012829 (1).jpg
    1000012829 (1).jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 9
Took another photo of him this morning and I'm not 100% sure but it looks like it may be trying to pop back up? Like the dent doesn't look as sharp as it was yesterday.

Attachments

• Picsart_24-03-25_08-10-50-431.jpg
    Picsart_24-03-25_08-10-50-431.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 11
If he has access to water then it is doubtful that it is a hydration issue and I agree that it does not appear to be a stuck eye cap. Personally, I have doubts if a vet could actually do much if anything to help, but it surely couldn't hurt to seek a vet's opinion. If it were my snake, so long as he does not seem to be in serious discomfort, I'd double-check his enclosure for hazards, and then just wait a couple days and see if it improves :). Best of luck!

Yeah, I agree, I am not sure what a vet would even be able to do. I'd check on it after his next shed and hopefully that corrects the issue.

I think that would be best. Wouldn't want to stress him out with the long journey only to be poked and prodded by the vet.

Seeing as it may be popping back up and he's not in pain or discomfort ill just keep an eye on him until he sheds.

Many thanks, guys!

I think that would be best. Wouldn't want to stress him out with the long journey only to be poked and prodded by the vet.

Seeing as it may be popping back up and he's not in pain or discomfort ill just keep an eye on him until he sheds.

Many thanks, guys!

Back