• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can corns eat hamsters?

Tula_Montage said:
Why is anyone even replying to this thread anymore! Its damn obvious Almase is going to do whatever he wants with those furry wee things no matter what ANYONE says?

[Irony] [/Irony]
beatdeadhorse5.gif

Almost 100 replies and no productive conclusion... Jeez let the guy have his way. Its people who KEEP responding to these kinds of threads when there is no REAL debate or productive outcome that get me miffed off :shrugs:

I know you all have better things to do.

Good Idea. We don't want this to be another example of how things get "out of control" around here. But that might be too late. :shrugs: :rolleyes:

You can't really come into a forum and spout off about personal belief systems, politics, and animal curelty opinions and NOT expect people to respond. By providing so many controversial opinions that were completely off-topic from the original post, you opened the entire topic up to speculation and criticism.

There is a reason why most people refrain from posts that contain matters of religous, political, and highly opinionated personal topics...

Almase said:
Yep. I know. I just gave that mouse I caught to my cat and had a blast watching the cat play with the mouse. Some people are just soft.

This guy calls liberalism a mental disease but gets his rocks off by watching an animal torture another to death. Getting so much joy out of watching the suffering of a lesser creature is cruel, sick and sadistic and such a person REALLY DOES have a mental disease. He and Dahmer have something in common!

This is my last post on this thread.

Good gracious! This thread has more ups and downs than a roller coaster!

Almase - I've been in the South long enough to know exactly where you're coming from and I happen to agree with your thinking on several topics. However, I do highly recommend that you please refrain from using the colorful language. This is a family forum and you WILL get banned if it continues. There are just certain terms that are not accepted here. But things like poop and whatever unique name for certain male secretions you can create (I like "spooge" myself when describing the tell-tale sign of successful cornsnake matings) are perfectly acceptable. There are a few others that will occasionally get by, but they're to be used in a non-hostile nature.

On another topic and it's :-offtopic , have I got a place for you! My hubby is also very into politics and I think you'll really enjoy this forum:
http://groups.google.com/group/political-round-robin
One of hubby's favorite things to do on his political forums is to make any liberal willing to try to debate him go running away in tears and feeling like a total Democratic party symbol.

Almase said:
haha Carol. They are wider than the mice. But they can sure the heck squeeze themselves through smaller holes than mice! Yeah, they are really friendly. I just dont think I wanna drive to the petshop JUST to get rid of them when I have a snake sitting right behind me. You know?

There ya go bull. Just smack em on a table haha. Maybe you can spin them around in a circle really fast like you do cats then drop it in with snake? lol Does that work? Jk. I'll stun the mouse :flames:
You sure... Get them wet and then compare lol... :crazy02:

Stars, its not cruel at all to give a mouse to a cat, and watch it play with the mouse. Its in the cats nature to fling a mouse around. Bite it, toss it, smack it, pounce on it. Its all in a cats nature. You play with your cat with cat toys right? Its the same thing only im not playing with the cat, im watching it play with food. And its entertaining just the same as a actual toy. Its not sadistic or anything to think its funny that a cat is playing with a toy. You're just a soft person.

lol Susan, that is very fun thing to do. I open myself up to debates on myspace all the time. Sometimes I enjoy going out and finding libs and debunk their "theories" on global warming, abortion, war, religion, sexual liberation, borders. I think those are my main topics. :)...Thanks for the link. I'll check it out but I cannot do political forums because you leave a comment and 10 minutes later there are 30 new pages (Slight exageration). But I just dont have the patience to read pages and pages of new stuff. Besides after you do read the whole thing, the topic you wanted to respond to is old news. I much prefer to just leave a comment and tell people to send me a message on myspace so I dont have to get stuck reading all that garbage.

What do you mean oldguy?

Almase said:
Stars, its not cruel at all to give a mouse to a cat, and watch it play with the mouse. Its in the cats nature to fling a mouse around. Bite it, toss it, smack it, pounce on it. Its all in a cats nature. You play with your cat with cat toys right? Its the same thing only im not playing with the cat, im watching it play with food. And its entertaining just the same as a actual toy. Its not sadistic or anything to think its funny that a cat is playing with a toy. You're just a soft person.

I dunno. I think it IS a bit sadistic to give a cat a LIVE 'toy' deliberately. The mouse is no less alive than the cat, and no less deserving of humane treatment. Yes, I'm soft. I believe that a life is a life is a life - no matter how much you paid for it or what you intend to do with it - and that it deserves as humane a life and death - as free from pain, stress and fear - as you, as a thinking creature capable of making choices for other creatures, can provide it. At least a -dead- bit of feather or fur on the end of a string is not capable of feeling pain, stress or fear.

I don't have one bit of trouble humanely euthanising my feeder mice by CO2, I don't have one bit of trouble feeding those euthanised mice to my snakes (and if my cats would take them, I'd give them mice too) ... but I don't think it's any more right to give a cat a live 'toy' so that they can play with it to death than it is to allow a small child to torture a puppy or kitten to death - accidentally or otherwise - in the name of 'giving it a toy'.

I even take any LIVE prey my cats bring in away from them - once it comes into my house, if it's alive, it belongs to me. If it's too badly injured to rehabilitate, it's euthanised and disposed of - I don't really WANT my cats eating wild birds and rodents, since that's where they wind up getting worms from. If it's able to be rehabilitated or released, then I take it, rehab if needed, and put it far enough from our property that the cat's not likely to pick it up again.

But that's my opinion, based on my feelings about the nature of life and the responsibilities humans have towards life forms who are in their care - however temporarily.

Yes, your snake can eat a pre-killed hamster. He might like the taste, however - and not want something else. I'd also been under the impression that hamsters might be a bit fatty in terms of a permanent diet. I wouldn't feed a live hamster - a stressed one can bite like a bugger and might do permanent damage to your snake.

Almase said:
Sometimes I enjoy going out and finding libs and debunk their "theories" on global warming, abortion, war, religion, sexual liberation, borders. I think those are my main topics. :)...
:roflmao: Where did you get your advanced scientific degrees that allow you to "debunk" the climate experts who actually have evidence to support the idea that humans are adversely changing the climate? In the scientific fields pertaining to climate, 99%+ of the researchers are convinced. But I guess while you, daddy, and Uncle Bob were out shootin' coons, you heard enough of their idiotic, Busch-Light-fueled opinions to make you an expert on everything, huh kid? I won't even get into the other theories you "debunk". I'm guessing that my boa has more informed views on these subjects as well. I KNOW he has about as much real-world experience, being only three years younger than you and having lived his whole life in a small, sheltered box. And with his lack of external ear openings, and his bb brain, I'll bet that he's about as open to new information. :grin01:

Any questions I may have asked were rhetorical. I won't be posting in this thread again.

So I guess I'm a sucker for spending $100 to fix up a box turtle with pneumonia that someone dumped off on me. Or that I've spent hundreds on my free pigeon, including $300 laser surgery to remove a lipoma that would have taken a long time to kill him.

Nanci

Last edited:
I just have one thing to say how is everybody that killing is cruel or sadistic. The snakes that everybody has here are all killers whether you feed them dead or live prey plain and simple so if you have a problem with death you shouldn't have got a snake. I mean come on, out here in chicago people die on the street every week whether it be gang related or just plain murder and you all are talkin bout animals killing each other like it isn't in their nature. Death is a part of life, deal with it and im out.

I'm curious if you will also enjoy watching your snake regurge after having a meal that is too large. :shrugs:

666killademon said:
I just have one thing to say how is everybody that killing is cruel or sadistic. The snakes that everybody has here are all killers whether you feed them dead or live prey plain and simple so if you have a problem with death you shouldn't have got a snake. I mean come on, out here in chicago people die on the street every week whether it be gang related or just plain murder and you all are talkin bout animals killing each other like it isn't in their nature. Death is a part of life, deal with it and im out.
Dude, You live in Crown Point Indiana which is a far cry from the streets of Chicago or even downtown Gary. Please do not tell us its any different. Your school system and area isn't as urban as you think it is.
As for the issue of death of humans, yes its a shame and I am sadden by seeing kids killing kids and I am against it as well. I just do not enjoy seeing someone getting off killing animals in any way. This shows me that this person has maturity and actual mental issues.
And as for Death is a part of life, oh trust me, I understand death more than do right now in your life. I have put down animals and pets due to illness and other reasons. It pains me to do this but sit back and figure if I am gonna kill something for pleasure or boredom. Well I would be forced to seek professional help for my mental state.

666killademon said:

It is not killing or death that is inherently cruel or sadistic. Death IS natural.

It is the way that a thinking being like a human chooses to end the life of another creature that can become cruel or sadistic.

A gator or lizard who catches a rodent and flings it about until it dies is not necessarily being consciously cruel. It's behaving in an instinctive manner, killing the rodent while trying to minimise the chance the rodent has to do damage to it. It does not have alternative methods available to it which are more humane than what it employs - and if it did, there is no guarantee there is enough going on in a gator's head to tell it that "you know, there's a better way to do this that won't get me bitten because this rodent will die faster."

A human who catches a rodent and flings it around until it dies (without deliberately trying for a 'whack' to kill - which is still inhumane) IS being consciously cruel - they've chosen to do something that causes pain, stress and fear to another living thing, and there is no reason why a thinking human being cannot choose to kill the animal in a more humane fashion that will cause less pain, stress or fear.

And a human who catches a rodent and gives it to another animal which is capable of killing the rodent quickly with a bite but USUALLY chooses to play with it until it dies is ALSO behaving cruelly - because the human had the choice to offer the rodent as a DEAD toy instead of as a live one.

Almase--

There is a HUGE difference between "debunking a theory" and being so maddeningly obtuse, close-minded and stubborn that people simply give up on you. I don't care how well-rounded you THINK you are, or how smart you THINK your theories are, or how much you think the rest of the world is full of it, and YOU have all the answers...you're still wrong. Just because people stop argunig with you doesn't mean you were right.

I don't see how you could possibly intelligently debate someone when you resort to childish name-calling over a hamster. What happens when someone mentions an important topic you disagree with? Do you break out the rifles?

Backwoods, beer can politics won't ever solve the world's problems. And people that propogate ignorance and obtuse thinking aren't helping from either end of the spectrum. So if you want to debate about political topics or matters of personal religous beliefs or personal decisions, find a forum that is MEANT for that sort of thing.

THIS place is meant for free exchange of ideas between respectful adults regarding topics concerning cornsnakes and generally herpetocultural practices. This is NOT a place for you spout of at the mouth about your political beliefs in the hope that someone will argue with you, so that you can "debunnk their theories" by calling them names and saying "you're wrong" without evidence.

Susan provided you a link that will give you every opportunity to talk politics with willing participants. As for THIS forum...it is about cornsnakes.

And with that, I, too, a0m done with this topic. But don't get it twisted Almase...you haven't "won" any debate. I just refuse to have a battle of the wits with an unarmed person.

666killademon said:

i don't think anybody said that killing was cruel or sadistic....but i would have to agree with them that...bringing a live mouse to a cat and watch the cat torture the mouse until the mouse dies slowly and painfully...and most of the people on here feed their snakes pre-killed food for safety of their snake..and which most of the rodents are gassed and are then freezed...which is the most humane way of doing it...yes death is a huge part of life..understanding death isn't exactly the same as watching a cat torture a mouse because it's a "toy"...your statement was ignorant and i'd pick up some books...

I see this happen everyday...

It starts off by someone asking if snakes can eat dwarf hampsters and ends with people people talking about people dying in drug related violence on the streets...

The 2 are so similar, how could people not see that coming????

Okay you guys please stop replying. As already stated he is going to do whatever he wants and we have already told him what is good and bad to do. Let's just hope he thinks of his snake (and hampsters) before doing something for fun.

Back