CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Stupid question, but halp!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Zombiegirl
Stupid question, but halp!

I am curious what size mouse an approx. 3-4ft cornsnake should eat? If they were a smidgy bit on the thinner side? Medium or large?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
ZiggysMom
I would probably go with the medium, or even smaller if that is more than 1.5 X the widest part of the animal, for the first feed and see what that looks like in the snake and make sure the snake digests properly. If that leaves a good lump, and everything else goes normally, stay with that size for a while. As long as the snake is eating and digesting well, meals can always be enlarged later.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Zombiegirl
I figured as much but wanted to check, thank you

Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
ThaPaintGuy
Large mice...hands down. As long as it can completely digest (lumps gone) within 2-3 days, your fine.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
smigon
First of all, NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION, only stupid people that DON'T ask questions!!! It is so good that you ask questions like these, you wouldn't learn otherwise.

You should feed by weight, not length. Here is a good guide to feeders, it is called the Munson Plan, some owners feel it is a bit aggressive for younger snakes, but is a good guide and a great place to start. If you don't already, get a digital scale that measures in 1/10 gram increments.

http://www.medusa-corns.webs.com/feedingchart.htm

Here is the scale I use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
RedCloud
My corn is about that size and he downs large mice without an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Zombiegirl
I will have to see what the weight is...she is a tad thin and I don't want to offer too large a prey item off the bat. Thanks smigon for posting the link, I will check it out.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
I will have to see what the weight is...she is a tad thin and I don't want to offer too large a prey item off the bat. Thanks smigon for posting the link, I will check it out.
A good visual guide if you don't have a scale yet is to feed them a mouse that is 1 1/2 times their widest part of their middle. It will look like it is too small to go down that neck, but they stretch.

But yeah, the Munson guide has served me well with all my kids.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google