CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Yearling Corn, adult mice to small?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #31
ashleynicole
It really does depend on the source of info and the size and age of the prey. Here is one reference I use. Since I use small rats I refernce the Juvenile rat in comparison to an adult mouse. I believe rats are a little hugher protein percent as well.
Juvenile rat 56% protein 27% fat

Adult mouse 55% protein 24% fat

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #32
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
Here is a pick I just took a minute ago and he just ate his rat about an hour ago. Hes still pretty active at the moment

He's really beautiful, but I think he is outgrowing his tank! Corns like to stretch out, and also a hide at each end is recommended, one over the UTH and one on the cool side. I think that the recommendation for the length of the viv is a minimum of 3/4 the length of the snake.

They also LOVE ground cover, adding some plastic or silk foliage would not only look nice but give him some more places to explore through.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #33
ashleynicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
He's really beautiful, but I think he is outgrowing his tank! Corns like to stretch out, and also a hide at each end is recommended, one over the UTH and one on the cool side. I think that the recommendation for the length of the viv is a minimum of 3/4 the length of the snake.

They also LOVE ground cover, adding some plastic or silk foliage would not only look nice but give him some more places to explore through.
Breeders keep their snakes in sweater boxes. This is a 20gallon long. I live in florida so very rarely even use heat. I may switch it on for a few days after feeding if i remember. He is perfectly fine. Ive raised him from a hatchling now he is 9 years old going on 10. And corns are agoraphobic they like closed in spaces. I had him housed in a spare 55gallon for a year or so and all he did was hide. Hes frequently out and about back in a 20 the last few years.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #34
ashleynicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post

This is what im talking about right here...

Old 05-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #35
drybgerg
Quote:
It really does depend on the source of info and the size and age of the prey. Here is one reference I use. Since I use small rats I refernce the Juvenile rat in comparison to an adult mouse. I believe rats are a little hugher protein percent as well.
Juvenile rat 56% protein 27% fat

Adult mouse 55% protein 24% fat

In your source the rat still has more fat as I was saying.. It's pretty much commonly accepted by the corn community that rats are more fattening for corns. Unless you can't get mice (highly unlikely as there are numerous suppliers that ship right to you door) there really is no reason to feed rats.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #36
ashleynicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by drybgerg View Post
In your source the rat still has more fat as I was saying.. It's pretty much commonly accepted by the corn community that rats are more fattening for corns. Unless you can't get mice (highly unlikely as there are numerous suppliers that ship right to you door) there really is no reason to feed rats.
Yeah your right. Its been a while since I looked at that info. Only my oldest is on small adult rats and it works for him. He only eats every 2-3 weeks

Old 05-31-2014, 01:34 AM   #37
smigon
Quote:
This is what im talking about right here...
Nothing showed up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google