• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Faster growing morphs?

GSDlover

I just had a question about growth rates.

My boyfriend has an Okeetee and I have an Amel.
His was born the last week of August and mine was born the first week of September.

Now mine was a problem eater at the very start, missed two feeding while his has never had a problem and has taken every meal.

Now, his Okeetee is a lot bigger then my Amel.
I have a scale but it's a food scale that really doesnt show small grams well, so I'm not exactly sure how much bigger she is to him. From my scale readings my male is AROUND 12 grams and his female is AROUND 18 grams... I'm going to get a better scale this weekend. ;)

But she's looks so much bigger then my male Amel.

Would she really look this much bigger from being a week older and having two more feedings then my male? Or is this a genetic thing (do Okeetee's grow a lot faster)? Or my last guess is that females tend to grow faster and be larger.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about growing faster but I've heard that okeetees do grow a lot bigger then most corns. If that helps.

Yes, missing a few feedings can make that much of a difference. Remember, not only did your guy not take in any new calories, he was still burning them. The male I won at the daytona raffle missed several meals and looks about half the size his sister is. However, once they're both on fuzzies they'll probably catch up to each other, or at least the difference in size won't be so drastic.

I have 3 siblings that were fed exactly the same
for the first part of their lives and they are currently
3 different sizes. It depends on the individual snake as
much as anything.

Size definitely depends on feeding rates, not age.

I have a snake that is over a year old that is about the same size as some of my '10s because he was on a maintaince diet for the first 6+ months of his life.

Some morphs like Cinder or the Upper Keys (I think) stay on the smaller side, but in general morph doesn't effect a corn snake's size, and definitely doesn't effect its growth rate.

Food is the main factor/ thing that causes growth, but as DiGiant stated, there can be other factors as well.

Back