• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

premature eggs?

2manysnakes

I smell a rat
I did a search to find info, but didn't get anything helpful. My poor little carmel (too young to breed, and she was gravid when I got her) has laid 3 small slugs. She doesn't seem eggbound, but I am not sure. Could these eggs have been premature? I have 8 other gravid females that have not laid yet, and they presumably all bred at the same time. If they are premies, is it possible she has more in her that will go full term? This is all driving me crazy. I tried to incubate the last two eggs, but after a couple days they started to stink, so I am sure they were slugs. This is a picture of her, and another one of her egg. Any advice would be so helpful. Oh and she ate a fuzzy yesterday just fine.

bella.jpg

egg001.jpg

Sorry to here that she was gravid. I was hoping she'd just work through the whole thing and reobsorb.

I would assume that she is either egg bound (I can't tell from that picture, I'm not too good at seeing that), or layed the only eggs she had in her. I don't know a lot about this, but that's my guess. She may be egg bound, but I hope she's just going to lay these. Wish I could be of more help.

Yes she can go onto lay more eggs, leave her alone with her nest box make sure it is moist, give her fresh water everyday, she even at this age should do her own thing. As for the slugs they are usually yellowish while regular eggs are whiteish. It sounds like they may have been to dry, but???? Eggs will plump up a little more after they get in incubator.
I know you are excited, but for the corns sake it is best to let them be now don't handle them or disturb them to much. I know it is so hard to do this but is the best way to get an egg bound female. good luck susan

susang said:
I know you are excited, but for the corns sake it is best to let them be now don't handle them or disturb them to much. I know it is so hard to do this but is the best way to get an egg bound female. good luck susan

I have not been handling them at all. The only time I have touched them is for feeding on Thursday. Bella was fed yesterday (I thought she might need it). All I do is peek into their bins without opening them. I am very excited though. All this waiting is driving me insane. I am not a patient person :spinner:

Susan, I know that laying can be spread over the course of as much as a wekk in very extreme cases, but will snakes really lay a few eggs then continue developing the others for a week or more before laying the next egg? That's what I though 2manysnakes was suggesting, so I'm curious.

I agree, that egg doesn't look completely slug-like. I wasn't even thinking about that until you mentioned it.

Actually I have read on here where a snake will lay 1-3 slugs and then go one to lay normal eggs even up to a week is what I think I read. Can' t remember who???
When was prelay shed? I know some on here question 16 day post pre-lay, but mine went 16 days and so did others I have seen. You will know if she is egg bound.

Back