CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Questioning the strawberry gene

Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
crotalis40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
Wow, that is beautiful! Crotalis that is one da
Thank you, I am hoping they get brighter when second generation comes around.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
snakepunk
Dan, are you sure that the strawberry isn't just a hypo-A? The red-factor specimen looks like it is also an amel (?), which will make a difference. I do think that the super form/homozygous red-factor will be noticeably brighter than a "het".

I think the best way to prove this, is by breeding a really nice salmon snow or ghost to an anery. My prediction is that 50% of the resulting anery offspring will be pink.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
crotalis40741
The red factor is a fire, the strawberry is not just a hypo a. I have a breeding planned of salmon snow to anery stripe het hypo will let you know how it goes. let me find the rf normal pics for ya. Anyone with better rf normal bobling pics help me out with one lol

First pic normal rf hatchling second pic strawberry hatchling. You can see how the strawberry has more of a pinkish where rf is red.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
dave partington
It appears to me
There is an old old line of selectively linebred corns which were called 'strawberry'
and there is a rather recently found gene called the Strawberry Gene.
I have some of both.

I have noticed that carrying hets for amel, ultra, hypo a, dilute, and a couple other genes can influence the color we see on individual snakes. I have not looked at the multi homozygous individuals under a microscope to figure out if carrying a mess of visual hets makes a difference in iridophore counts/arrangements.

If some of these snakes are then bred together, based purely on what we are visually seeing (tossing punnets and conventional Mendel genetics out the window), it is possible to hit a target color.

Without knowing originally what genetically went into a Salmon or Coral line (as there are several different breeders versions of these around), and not knowing what visuals were removed from the original project line, is it fair to assume they are strawberry based?

Polygenetics is my friend.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
BSLMichael
IMO Hypo A and Strawberry are different. The pure line strawberries without ANY hypo influence (Proven no hypo a influence) Are pink base with red saddles. Hypo A Tend to range in base color anywhere from redish-orange with anywhere from dull red to bright red saddles.

It seems consistant with me that Strawberries have a pink base.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #16
BSLMichael
I'd also like to add that the photo shown in the first post does not look strawberry to me.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #17
Shiari
Considering that you can have strawberry, hypo-strawberry, and hypo all look different under the microscope they act co-dom with each other. If it was simply co-dom on its own, we would not be seeing the hypo express and we would not be able to get strawberries from non-expressing hets that are strawberry under the microscope.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #18
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLMichael View Post

It seems consistant with me that Strawberries have a pink base.
Are you referring to a strawberry amel, strawberry anery, or a strawberry snow here?
I have never seen a classic with pink ground color.
Do you have a pic?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
chris68
Just for reference...

Strawberry male, originally from Mitchell Mulks

Red factor amel, from Bob Brown. The father was Bob's snake Ochre, a red factor ultramel het or homozygous bloodred (just don't remember)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
JimGERcream
great thread. I also have my doubts with the whole strawberry thing. meanwhile there are tons of breeders who started projects with JMGs corals and all label these babys as het strawberrys (JMG coral ghost = strawberry anery, does anyone ever proved that??), most of these breeders assume some JMG coral lookalikes in F2 (maybe + x), but when strawberry causes the pink groundcolour (I don't believe that), why do so much f1 anery babys show so much pink? I'd say it's more a question of linebreeding (the red factor?!) than strawberry.

The few "known" strawberry anerys which were produced from other lineages looked nothing like the JMGs. No pink groundcolour, just some cool pastel brownish saddles. I'm sure there won't be just a few breeders who will be disappointed with the project results.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google