CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Questioning the strawberry gene

Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #51
boricua00735
Dave those are some stunners

Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #52
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
I did not ask that specifically for this thread Jim, I did because I own a JMG coral ghost male but you are welcome
I don't know how many reside here. We took on the JMG cs inventory back in April 2012...

Let's just have fun mixing it all up with other stuff and see what happens next.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #53
snakekeepertez
i really NEED to get my hands on some of these, but so far away

Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #54
ryoverde
Hi everyone. I would like to point out, in my Newbie lack-of-experience (so please don't be offended if I accidentally tread on toes or something like that, it's not intentional I promise!), that I am the least qualified person to stick my nose in here. But sometimes, a fresh perspective, a change of paradigm (don't ask), can help. Bear with me a little bit here, please, I'm trying my hardest to be tactful, something I am not well known for, I'm more known for bluntness, but I do not want to offend anyone (please don't take offense, pretty please?).

I'd like to thank everyone for the carefully provided information and threads and ... lines? with as few sinkers <g> as possible in this topic. It's fascinating; the genetics and proofs are fascinating, and, frankly, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a real Strawberry before. For reasons I won't go into, this is not a good thing... And all the pictures of all the animals are wonderful, BTW, I'm taking notes on picture taking alone...

I'd like to point out that this type of problem (genetic background of a color/morph) might be a direct fall-out/related to the use of "brand names" or "trade names" for a "new" color/morph, whether for advertising purposes or... {I forget the proper term for "coolness factor", trying to concentrate on where I'm going with this}.

I mention this because, precisely because, as a Newbie, at first I had no idea what an "Opal", "Snow", or "Avalanche" were. I had a visual reference for "sunglow" only because I had had a "sunglow motley", but that did not define what sunglow meant. And, it turns out, Sunglow might have as many definitions as Coral and Strawberry, plus Hypo and Bloodred... Now there's Buf, Topaz, Cayenne, Orchid, Lava, Fire... Well, The Corn Calc list of Brand/Trade names doesn't always have them all, and it's not necessarily right, now, it seems.

Simple, old, easy (I hope) example case in point: While Sunglow Motley sounds much more interesting than Amel Motley, which is more true? As I understand it, and I could be wrong, Amel Motley is genetically correct, but some of these have been line-bred (not on an island per se but selectively) for extra-flashy reddish-orange and yellow motley, giving the Amel line the Sunglow Brand/Trade-name -- except no one actually trademarked it, formally?

And, taking a guess by expanding the simple example, since Sunglow line-bred "broke the dyke", now we (seem to) have the Coral line-breds, also not Brand/Trade-named, since the "industry standard didn't require it, but actual genetics probably not known?

What in the heck am I trying to say after all this babbling? Get to the point, Cara, go back to being the blunt scientist: Brand/Trade-names are generally used to protect proprietary information (hide information from competitors) about a product. If you don't mind someone else learning that your snake has a recessive Strawberry and Anery gene, well, then it's an Anery-Strawberry (or Strawberry-Anery), but if it's a line-bred Snow for shades of pink, then it's a Bubblegum(T), FakesSnakeBreederName, Inc., and most folks will know that the trademarked Bubblegums will likely have the creme de la creme kept back by the original manufacturer (breeder) so that they have the best product to sell.

And TM law gets applied... But wait, TM law, it doesn't get applied, because the industry doesn't require formally TM'ing the product, or informally warned the buyers that the line(s) in question are "breeder unique", now here's the problem.

(This last is exaggerated for demonstration only, a few breeders I have run across have informally warned me they have done some line-breeding of their particular genetic line(s).)

So, Caveat emptor it seems does apply... er, "let the buyer beware".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google