CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Odd Kinda scary

Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
1TimeMoM
Odd Kinda scary

Whiskey has started doing something odd to me.. When im holding him he curls round my hand like he been doing since his is long enough to do so.. But he now curls round my hand and kind stretches on my arm.. He flicks his toungue, sways his head back and forth like he does when I put a mouse with him.. now I wash my hands with Ivory liquid soap before i handle him why is he doing this.. Its kinda scaring me a lil

Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
mindfreak
He's exploring. There's really nothing to be frightened of. He's going to be curious and he's going to want to explore. Most corns crawl all over their owners, and that involves looking and nosing around, and lots of smelling.

If you're scared he's going to try to eat you or strike at your arm/face, he won't. You shouldn't handle him directly after feeding time, and really this is the only time you would smell like mice. And when you smell like mice (and when Whiskey's hungry) is the only time you should be concerned about being bitten.

You seem to be concerned with getting the mouse smell off of your hands which is good, and that's all you need. Just wash your hands thoroughly after handling mice and move slowly when you go to pick him up after feeding.

BUT since we're talking about just normally handling Whiskey (which you don't do after feeding!) there's no reason you should smell like mice and no reason you should be concerned.

Moral of the story: unless you're rubbing yourself down with mouse before handling, you have no reason to worry about being bitten.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
mindfreak
Oh, and to be clear--regardless of when you hold your snake, you should always wash your hands before and after. Before and after feeding, before and after everyday handling.
Even if you don't smell like mice, wash your hands.

I'm sure you know this but hey, I'm putting it out there just in case.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Dreamsnake
I used to handle wild snakes when I lived in the Gulf region all the time and I was never bitten. Snakes like to explore. I got one in my bra once, the little thing dug himself in there deep and that was the only time I was afraid of getting a bite. I'm sure you can imagine why.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google