CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Anyone have any good homemade mouse food recipes?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Pygora
Anyone have any good homemade mouse food recipes?

I was wondering if there is a good homemade mouse food recipe I can give my feeders? I've been buying the mouse diet but its getting way expensive the way they eat and the little seedy stuff they never eat. I also supplement with dog food. Preferably a dry mix of stuff I can get locally. How do I go about creating a well balanced variety food mix?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
diamondlil
If you've got a farm feed store near you, 'sow rolls' for pigs are a really good feed. I found a $7 bag lasted about 6 months for my (small scale) mouse breeding set up.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Pygora
Sow rolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
If you've got a farm feed store near you, 'sow rolls' for pigs are a really good feed. I found a $7 bag lasted about 6 months for my (small scale) mouse breeding set up.
What does it consist of and can it be bought in the US? I'm in San Diego so I'm not too sure if I will find it.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
diamondlil
It's pig feed for adult pigs, not fast-growing bacon piglets. It's in pellet form and compares really well to the nutritional profile of Muzuri etc, which I couldn't get without paying out much more. I got the tip of using them from a rat breeder.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Buzzard
We use a mix of pelleted pig food ($10-20) as mentioned above, bird seed and dog food ($5-7). We used to use Mazuri Rodent Diet but it got rather expensive so we had to switch. The pelleted pig food can be found at most local farm supply stores or Tractor Supply stores. The pelleted pig food varies in price according to protein content like dog food does and will also vary according to size (#pounds) purchased. We do not use anything that contains artificial dyes for our rodents.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
dave partington
3 eggs, separate away 2 of the whites. Reserve those whites for later.
Bag of 100 pinkies. ! day or younger. Frozen and then thawed is best, but fresh is even better.
2 Cups of the good blue n gold label Gold Medal Flour.
3 TBSP Butter.
2 (possibly up to 3) Tsp Coarse Kosher Salt.
Good heavy shakes from the spice cabinet:
Greek Oregano,
Fresh (or processed) garlic (not dried flakes)
Fine Cut 1 Large Yellow (not Vidalia) onion.
1/2 cup Broccoli Florettes, fine chopped, fresh or frozen, remove stem chunks if budget shopping for turkey soup cruciferousness later)
Olive Oil
some of that Smokey Bacon you like and usually have on hand anyways
Additional herbs n stuff
Brandy.

Methode:
Chop up some bacon and toss in big skillet with Olive Oil and Onion and Garlic, start off High to blast of heat but then slow simmer awhile. Add other herbs in progression til you feel you have a good mixture of wetness for the pallete. Toss in some butter if you like, but be sure to cook low heat so the butter don't burn.

Toss about a couple (2, in case you don't know how many a couple is) cups of the flour in a bowel and add some of the herbs and salt n stuff. Salt only goes with the flour in this resapee. Taste the brandy, Make sure its still good. Taste it again to make sure. Dang this some good brandy.

Dang, I dun forgotten the ckikken broth. Yaste the brandy. Mush the flour butter misture into the pie tin. Yaste the brandy. Beat the eggs. Add some spices and sauteed mixture. Wip it up. Taste the brandye.

Add sum pinkys. forshen thawed is best, theyre pre tenderised. Taste the brandy. Who r u feeding anyways? Tasty brandy. Love the holidaz. Chers & God Bles.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
jessicashallperish
I feed my rats a mix of "winter" bird seed, its got a bit of corn and sunflower seeds in it, 14% sweet feed (its easy for me to swipe a scoop here and there from my horse feed supply) and dog food WITHOUT red dyes... and the occasional boiled egg for a pregnant or nursing female.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Pygora
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
3 eggs, separate away 2 of the whites. Reserve those whites for later.
Bag of 100 pinkies. ! day or younger. Frozen and then thawed is best, but fresh is even better.
2 Cups of the good blue n gold label Gold Medal Flour.
3 TBSP Butter.
2 (possibly up to 3) Tsp Coarse Kosher Salt.
Good heavy shakes from the spice cabinet:
Greek Oregano,
Fresh (or processed) garlic (not dried flakes)
Fine Cut 1 Large Yellow (not Vidalia) onion.
1/2 cup Broccoli Florettes, fine chopped, fresh or frozen, remove stem chunks if budget shopping for turkey soup cruciferousness later)
Olive Oil
some of that Smokey Bacon you like and usually have on hand anyways
Additional herbs n stuff
Brandy.

Methode:
Chop up some bacon and toss in big skillet with Olive Oil and Onion and Garlic, start off High to blast of heat but then slow simmer awhile. Add other herbs in progression til you feel you have a good mixture of wetness for the pallete. Toss in some butter if you like, but be sure to cook low heat so the butter don't burn.

Toss about a couple (2, in case you don't know how many a couple is) cups of the flour in a bowel and add some of the herbs and salt n stuff. Salt only goes with the flour in this resapee. Taste the brandy, Make sure its still good. Taste it again to make sure. Dang this some good brandy.

Dang, I dun forgotten the ckikken broth. Yaste the brandy. Mush the flour butter misture into the pie tin. Yaste the brandy. Beat the eggs. Add some spices and sauteed mixture. Wip it up. Taste the brandye.

Add sum pinkys. forshen thawed is best, theyre pre tenderised. Taste the brandy. Who r u feeding anyways? Tasty brandy. Love the holidaz. Chers & God Bles.
NOT quite what I mean but at least I got a LOL out of it. :-D My daughter has 5 cornsnakes (1 big and 4 small) and 2 ball pythons. But I wanted a cheaper mix to feed the mice that we're feeding to the snakes. The colony eats a LOT and those tiny bags of mouse food they offer at the pet store last a week if I'm lucky and that's the biggest size I can find. :-(

Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Wyldrose
I use a mix myself
1 50lb bag of wild bird seeds
1 50lb bag of oats
1 10 lb bag of cat or dog food(no red dye it's bad stuff!)
I also add what ever I have around things like
dry pasta
dry rice
dried crumbled bread
rabbit pellets
dried veggies(including seeds)
ceral(avoid the sugary stuff)

I use to buy hog grower as well and add to the mix but I get hives up my arms when I touch it.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Floof
You should be able to get Mazuri rat & mouse food in large quantities from a farm store. Here in the LA area, I was able to get a 50 lb bag of Mazuri 6F for around $30 from a local farm store. Sooo much more affordable than those little 2 lb bags!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google