CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

bump up from fuzzy to hopper

Old 05-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
pretzel66
bump up from fuzzy to hopper

Hey everyone, I'm assuming this question has been asked before, although I couldn't find a recent post, so bear with me haha. I have an approximately 6 month old corn snake. She's 54 grams and almost 2 feet long. I'm roughly following the munson chart but i know it can be aggressive. It says at about this time I can increase to hoppers. Currently I feed my snake once a week and she/he is on fuzzies, which they take very well. Should I bump up to hoppers or should I wait a few more feedings? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
The Munson plan is based on the idea that a "Growing Snake" should consume 10% to 13% of its body weight per weekly feeding.

For example, a 15 gram snake should eat a 1.5 to 2 gram pinkie, a 50 gram snake would eat a 5 gram fuzzy or hopper, a 200 gram snake would eat a 20 to 25 gram mouse, etc....

Different suppliers and dealers package their mice differently. A Hopper could be mistaken for a fuzzie, or a medium mouse versus a large mouse. So if you'll always weigh your snake (after it poops) and then use that weight to select your next feeder mouse. If you do that, who care if it's a Hopper or Fuzzy, right? As long as it weighs what it should, what difference does it make what we call it?

So, you stated your snake weighs currently 54 grams. I would be looking for feeder mice that weigh anywhere from 5-1/2 grams to 7 grams. Naturally as your snake grows and puts on weight, the feeder size will increase too.

Once your snake becomes an Adult, you will feed less frequently, every 2 to 3 weeks to maintain a healthy weight.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
daddio207
Most really don't make it so scientific as of when to move up in prey size. Corn snakes will take a prey 1 to 1 1/2 their girth. As the snake grows so does the prey in proportion to the snake.. The Munson plan overcomplicates something very simple.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Complicated?

There's nothing complicated about it. You weigh the snake, you weigh the mouse.

I would imagine measuring the width of the mouse and then measuring the snake and then computing whether or not it's 1-1/2 times would be more complicated, or you could just guess at it and say, yeah, that looks to be about 1-1/2 times, I guess it's ok.

Yes, my remarks here are silly, but no any more so than the ones directly above.

I've learned over the past few months, that Daddio207 is going to disagree and contradict almost every post I make. I've come to accept that's the way he is.

But feeding a snake is simple. There's a reason lot's of people use the munson plan including BHB Reptiles and many folks right here on this forum. I do find it interesting to note that I was feeding snakes using the 10% to 13% rule 40 years ago before there was ever anthing known as "The Munson Plan" which tells me Mr munson probably didn't invent it at all, rather found it from somebody else the same way I did.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Complicated?

There's nothing complicated about it. You weigh the snake, you weigh the mouse.

I would imagine measuring the width of the mouse and then measuring the snake and then computing whether or not it's 1-1/2 times would be more complicated, or you could just guess at it and say, yeah, that looks to be about 1-1/2 times, I guess it's ok.

Yes, my remarks here are silly, but no any more so than the ones directly above.

I've learned over the past few months, that Daddio207 is going to disagree and contradict almost every post I make. I've come to accept that's the way he is.

But feeding a snake is simple. There's a reason lot's of people use the munson plan including BHB Reptiles and many folks right here on this forum. I do find it interesting to note that I was feeding snakes using the 10% to 13% rule 40 years ago before there was ever anthing known as "The Munson Plan" which tells me Mr munson probably didn't invent it at all, rather found it from somebody else the same way I did.
Haha
Get over yourself Karl...
My response wasn't directed at you. Now it is because I quoted you . It was directed at the Munson plan which I mentioned in my post. There's nothing wrong with weighing your snake and prey if that is what you want to do. Some Newbie corn snake owners might even need it that specific.
BUT ... No measuring the girth is needed. You just use your EYE"S and look at your snake then you look at the mice. Pretty simple to know if it's the right size.
I've fed a few 1000 more than the 5 snakes you have over the years but your the expert here. As you have for 40, I've been at this for 45 years and have actually studied Herpetology on and off for 30 years.
Don't flatter yourself. I don't "stalk" you on here.

BTW this is how forums work. You give advice. I give advice. Others give advice. Sometimes it contradicts. Sometimes it doesn't.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google