• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Which Snakes Can Live together?

Actually, Bethany, you are wrong. Kathy is too. I know she knows quite a lot, or so THEY say, but sometimes experience just isn't what it's made out to be. My trio of Softes stuffedis plushie snakes are doing great in a group. I have them in a 29 gallon because it will control their growth-- if there's no space they'll never outgrow it.

This is the male at an outdoor photo shoot:
WR86738_LG.jpg

He has a bit of a temper!
WR77653_LG.jpg

And one of his ladies, in red phase.
WR86951_LG.jpg

What? You keep your Softes stuffedis plushie snakes in a container?! Mine are free range! They have way less stress when they can go wherever they want... well except too low to the ground, or the dogs will eat them, but other than that...

Maybe we can do a breeding loan, here's my male...

Attachments

• 2009_0831CronSanke0024.jpg
    2009_0831CronSanke0024.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 88
They look a bit overweight Lauren. Had you considered cutting down on their stuffing?!

I only feed them two or three large rats once or twice a week. I like them to grow fast.

What? You keep your Softes stuffedis plushie snakes in a container?! Mine are free range! They have way less stress when they can go wherever they want... well except too low to the ground, or the dogs will eat them, but other than that...

Maybe we can do a breeding loan, here's my male...

Joe, that blue bowl really makes his colors pop. I've heard some breeder of lowly cornsnakes on this site uses blue bowls too.

PM me about the breeding loan, or we can discuss it in Daytona.

I would be interested in setting up a breeding loan too...when my guy is old enough. Shouldn't be long, as he is on 2 rats twice a week and sometimes he gets 10 at a time as a treat. Don't worry; he's free range!

030.jpg

I would be interested in setting up a breeding loan too...when my guy is old enough. Shouldn't be long, as he is on 2 rats twice a week and sometimes he gets 10 at a time as a treat. Don't worry; he's free range!

030.jpg

What is his growth rate like? Mine definitely shrinks when he gets wet and then dries.

You guys are so silly.

Anyway, I never recommended co-habbing, ever. Your snakes will live perfectly happy, healthy lives while being kept by themselves. That could change drastically if you co-hab them.

Best case sceneario- Snakes experience minimal stress and live their lives in moderate happiness.

Worst case scenario- One or more of your snakes gets ill and dies, or eat each other, or refuse food, ect.

Why anyone would take that risk is beyond me.

030.jpg

Awwww, that's a little one!

I also have the female and their offspring showing their skills at climbing the racks...

Attachments

• DSCF0305.JPG
    DSCF0305.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0306.JPG
    DSCF0306.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 80
I do not co-hab. But I do wonder why different species can be found under the same piece of plywood - including Kings and other snakes which would otherwise be their prey.

True, if one of the snakes get on everyone's nerves, they have the freedom to leave the space.

But still - it makes you think...

I do not co-hab. But I do wonder why different species can be found under the same piece of plywood - including Kings and other snakes which would otherwise be their prey.

True, if one of the snakes get on everyone's nerves, they have the freedom to leave the space.

But still - it makes you think...

If more people spent a little time in the field instead of reading magazines then they would know that snakes spend time together all times of the year.
I don't know how many times I have found mixed groups of kingsnakes, milk snakes, and racers under the same cover. The winter dens in the Northeast are full of all varieties of snakes and I bet they get along just fine. Maybe it's because they really don't have Human feelings!

I'd like to get in on the stuffie breeding loans.

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

This one might be a good match for sweetseraph's
IMG_3677.jpg

And this one might be a good match for the last one of Joe's
IMG_3679.jpg

If more people spent a little time in the field instead of reading magazines then they would know that snakes spend time together all times of the year.
I don't know how many times I have found mixed groups of kingsnakes, milk snakes, and racers under the same cover. The winter dens in the Northeast are full of all varieties of snakes and I bet they get along just fine. Maybe it's because they really don't have Human feelings!

You also cannot assume that an animals behavior in an enclosed captive setting is going to be AT ALL the same as in the wild. A lot of captive animals do things and behave in ways in captivity that they never would in the wild.

Simply put, very few people here would reccomend cohabbing, especially to a newb.

And to me, with as inexpensive as snake housing is, why would you even bother?? If you can afford the $40 cornsnake, you can likely afford the $40 for housing. If you can't, don't get another snake. We've got 37 snakes and not a one is cohabbed.

The answer is plain and simple. Because they can get away from each other. In captivity, they are kept together and cannot get away. They HAVE to be near the other snake, no matter what. Even if they're in different hides, they cans till smell the other snake and they know it's there.

The way I see it: better safe than sorry. I don't find it too hard to house each snake individually, and I see no benefit to housing them together except for human 'enjoyment'.

More YOU time...

Here's what I do! I house snakes w/ feeders! Its saves a lot of time when it comes to feeding. :D

hatchlingtubs001.jpg

Can I ask about the sizes of their individual vivs?

My corns are in racks with equivalent floor space of a 20 gallon long. This is industry accepted standard. We will be moving the largest females and king and ratsnakes into 2' x 2' animal plastics cages this Spring.

The boids all have their own cage, with the smallest, a yearling ball python, being in a 2' x 2' cage, while our largest guys are in 4' x 2'.

If a 20L or equivalent rack is all you need to house them individually, why not do it?

Back