CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

what am i doing wrong

Old 10-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
1_and_only
what am i doing wrong

my corn hides all day and most the nite under the substrate. the temp on the warm side is 82f it has a hide spot on the warm side but doesnt use it. it is not shedding and is feeding fine. i have an under tank heater and a light that i leave on during the day but turn off at night. Am i doing anything wrong?

Old 10-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_and_only
my corn hides all day and most the nite under the substrate. the temp on the warm side is 82f it has a hide spot on the warm side but doesnt use it. it is not shedding and is feeding fine. i have an under tank heater and a light that i leave on during the day but turn off at night. Am i doing anything wrong?
As long as your cool side is in the low to mid-seventies, and you have hides on the warm and cool sides, I don't see a problem. The lamp may dry out the tank, but if you get a good shed next time, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
debcash
How old is the snake and how long have you had him?

Many hatchlings will hide a lot. Our first one hid for almost 6 weeks and then we would see her head poking up in the evenings, a week or two of that and then she got used to coming out. Most of mine, even the very social ones, only like to come out from about 5pm and later.

Mine also usually stay in the cool side unless they've just eaten, then they'll hide on the warm side for a few days.

(Yours may also be coming out later at night when you wouldn't see him.)

Old 10-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
1_and_only
its about 2yrs old i think.(im not sure because the previous owner didnt really tell me much about it its 2ft long and eats 2 pinkies every 7 days. does this sound right to you? if not please correct me)ive had it now for two weeks.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
coyote
2 years and 2 feet long and 2 pinkies every 7 days? I don't think the meals you are giving are big enough. I have yearlings that are that size and they will eat fuzzy rats or hopper mice.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Rosebear
Gosh...Legoless is a year old and is easily 2-1/2 to 3 ft. long and eating at least a hopper a week, more often if he goes into "hunting" mode sooner. If your snake isn't being offered enough food, he can't grow, thus no overt need to shed, plus not enough nutrition to waste on a new skin. How big around is your snake at it's biggest point? Dime sized? Penny? Nickle? You can feed an item 1-1/2 times bigger than their girth.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
1_and_only
its about 2cm at its largest part. im not from the u.s so im not sure of any of them sizes of coins. the mice i am feeding her at the moment are about 1inch long are these pinkies? they are all pink with no fur. the guy at the pet store said start feeding it two of these a week then move it up to bigger ones asap. does this sound right the members on here seem to know alot more than anyone ive spoken to.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_and_only
its about 2cm at its largest part. im not from the u.s so im not sure of any of them sizes of coins. the mice i am feeding her at the moment are about 1inch long are these pinkies? they are all pink with no fur. the guy at the pet store said start feeding it two of these a week then move it up to bigger ones asap. does this sound right the members on here seem to know alot more than anyone ive spoken to.
A two year old snake should have been on adult mice for quite a while. Pinkies are not enough food for any adult snake. You need to step up the size ASAP.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
BeckyG
What Joe said, only don't jump straight to adult mice. Since the snake is not used to mice this big, you risk a regurge. What I'd do is to feed it fuzzies for a couple of weeks, then hoppers for a couple of weeks, etc. so it can get used to larger sized meals.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
KatieL
I second what Becky says, a two foot long snake should be eating at least large fuzzies or hoppers. Are you sure its two years old? All of my yearling are much bigger than that. Although, I guess if its only been eating pinks its whole life....hmmm....

In any case, Becky's time frame sounds about right for avoiding a regurge.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google