CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can corns eat hamsters?

Old 02-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
Lennycorn
yeah, You might want to stunn it first then freeze. And keep in mind that the rule of thumb is to feed a snake an food item that is 1 1/2 time the snake girth.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #12
Almase
lol, just out of curiosity. How do you go about "stunning" the mouse? Just drop it in the tank from a high distance or something? lol I cought a mouse one time and stuck it in a little plastic jar thingy and shook the crap out of it, but I think that just killed it. (I shook it so I could give it to my cat and it wouldnt run away)

Old 02-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
bull420
i just grab the mouse by the tail and smak it aganst the edge of a table

Old 02-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
plasticknives
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage
Sure they can eat them. Its not like a corn in the wild would think - "Hang on, your a dwarf hamster... your not a squeeky clean white moose so I can't eat you"

hehe , the image of a squeaky clean little white moose is now i my head and won't get out.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #15
carol
I've fed hammies to corns before. I usually co2 them, freeze them, then feed them. Be advised that the average adult dwarf hamster is too big a meal for the average corn, they are about the same weight as an adult mouse, but much wider. So you may be better off just giving them away. Are they friendly?

Old 02-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #16
Almase
haha Carol. They are wider than the mice. But they can sure the heck squeeze themselves through smaller holes than mice! Yeah, they are really friendly. I just dont think I wanna drive to the petshop JUST to get rid of them when I have a snake sitting right behind me. You know?

There ya go bull. Just smack em on a table haha. Maybe you can spin them around in a circle really fast like you do cats then drop it in with snake? lol Does that work? Jk. I'll stun the mouse

Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #17
carol
Friendly hammies seem hard to come by. You may get the pet store to give you several mice for them. I wouldn't feed them off, it is likely they will be too big for your snake and the snake will either refuse or regurge (speaking from experience) you'd be better off trading them for mice. I also don't think hammies would be as easy to stun as mice. I've seen mine take quite a tumble and still keep ticking.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #18
Lennycorn
Almase,
I would heed Carol's advice. I just gave you options but Carol has more experience. I would rethink this.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #19
Almase
Oh, these two are really friendly. They cost $10 and mice are $2 at that petshop. I think I might be able to get one mouse for each of them. They can take a tumble though. Thats true haha.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #20
carol
Ya. I really enjoy the several colonies I keep. I have some hatchlings that refused pinky mice, but will take pinky Dwarf Hamsters, so I keep them all year round and freeze most the pinks for hatchling season. I will feed off some of the younger ones to the corns but by the time they reach adult size they are too big. Then if I need to get rid of them I sell them if they are friendly and if not I give them to the larger kingsnakes or larger ratsnakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google