CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can corns eat hamsters?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:45 AM   #31
SaulsMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almase
I mean I've seriously considered skinning a mouse because I think a mouse pelt would look kinda cool and different hung up on my wall. But thats no reason to think a guy is sadistic is it? I mean its just a hobby like hangin up deer skin.
The Herp store I visit actually has a display of taxidermied mice (OK, I'm sure that's not an adjective) hanging over the register, complete with little teeny halos and wings. There's a taxidermy class you can take to learn how to get your own wittle moosie angels. My Kindergartner really wants me to take the course so that we can decorate the Christmas tree.

I don't think she's psycho. Just really into furry angels.

Find a taxidermist. Mount away. You won't hear me complain.

SaulsMom

Old 02-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #32
Almase
lol....Well, thats good you grew up that way. I mean its kinda sad. But its good for a person to understand the "harsh realities". That reminds me of what this radio talk show host I listen to talked about once. About when he grew up in Brooklyn I think, he mentioned there would be bullies in the bathrooms sometimes that would pick on people, or actually take their money so he said he used to go in there with some kind of joke and talk to the bully while he was going to the bathroom. lol Kinda funny. Can I ask your age?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 AM   #33
tyflier
I'm 33. It says that under my avatar...

Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #34
Almase
lol Saulsmom, thats funny. I would need one of those exacto knives for a mouse. haha. Oh, I didnt see that. I was thinking you were older.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #35
kev1144
Quote:
Can cornsakes eat dwarf hamsters? I dont wanna sound cruel, but I have a couple dwarves that I have had for awhile. I think its time they moved on. If the corn cant eat them I'll just get rid of them some other way.

Coooooooooooooold Blooded

But that's mad dog

Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #36
starsevol
Quote:
lol....I can say some stuff about PETA too. Like I said, I hunt coons lol so PETA and us hunters dont exactly get along either.

Thats an idea to freeze them. However I heard before that freezing doesnt really kill the bacteria, it just stops it from growing more. Im not a scientist, so I do not know personally. Its better safe than sorry however.

Yes Skychimp, some kid would take them. But I dont know any kids and im not attached to the hamsters at all lol. Again, I dont wanna sound cruel to any of you. But when it comes to animals, they have a price limit. For example, I dont wanna waste gas money to bring a hamster to a petshop when I can feed it to my snake. If my cat gets sick then it better heal itself or its gonna die, cause I wont spend money on a free animal. The snake however cost about $80ish, so if something happens it gets a trip to the vet. But I would say anything under about $20 doesnt get any special treatment.

I find this disturbing. Before anyone labels me a PETA supporter or an HSUS supporter, be assured that I am not. I loathe Ingrid Newkirk and hopes she gets what coming to her.
But I am a firm believer in RESPONSIBILITY. No matter the cost of an animal, it deserves basic care. Basic care includes vet care in case of illness or injury. In many towns, failure to provide basic care for an animal, free or not, constitutes animal cruelty. If found guilty penalties include fines and/or jail time. I DO agree with this. This person may end up paying more for a "free cat" than he ever imagined!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #37
Almase
Wait wait wait. Before you even start in on me. Let me tell you I do take care of my animals. My cats are barn cats. They live on their own. The only thing I do is feed them. If they go out in the woods and get screwed up from a coyote or something, I aint takin the damn cat to a vet, if its gonna die I aint gonna pay for some medicine to put it to sleep, im gonna shoot the damn thing. But of course I dont REALLY own a cat anyways. I mean who owns a cat? They come and go as they please. As for the hamsters, I just CANNOT see paying $100 because it has a lump on its side or something. THat is stupid. Call it cruel if you want, I'll find out what the lump is but its not going to vet. If its fatal I'll kill it myself. It has nothing to do with cruelty, it has to do with people being raised to soft today. Besides that im not rich. I have horses and hounds and they come WAY before a hamster or a cat. So dont tell me I dont take care of my animals, or I am cruel without knowing me there buddy.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #38
tbtusk
In my opinion...

Okay, before everyone says "aw its a little 14 year old that will cry if his little mouse dies" I assure you that 's not the kind of person I am, but I do have my opinions. And I agree that PETA is insane (in a bad way), and I am not anything like a supporter of them, especially after watching my ball python devour live mice (she wouldn't take frozen).

My ball python escaped quite a few years ago and (besides losing my parents 15 grand after scaring the buyer of our house who somehow learned the "python" escaped) we bought 2 live mice to attract her back. She never came so we kept the mice. We had them for a year or so and then one got a tumor on his neck. We brought it to a specialty vet because everything deserves to live and we were responsible for the little guy. The mouse was worth his weight in gold. We paid something like $300 for the vet to do surgery on the mouse. It was so small they used the cap for a needle as the tube to administer the anesthetic.

Anyway my point is that I think you should take care of any animal you have. I'm not saying that feeding your hamsters to your snakes is horrible. Your going to feed your snake something so I see no problem with feeding the hamsters. Oh, and I would take care of the cats, but you have your opinions and I see nothing wrong with that. And killing the rodent with a fatal disease is not bad either since they would probably be "put down" in anycase.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #39
tyflier
I gotta tell ya'...I tend to agree with Almase. While he may be a bit "abrasive" in the way he says it, his logic is sound. I have a bunch of mice. If any of them get sick, they are getting killed, bottom line. And I won't feel the least bit guilty about it. I'm not spending $100 on a sick MOUSE, when I can go to the store and buy 50 of them for that price. It simply doesn't make sense. The only thing that would suck about it would be telling my daughter, but even SHE, at 2 1/2, knows that things die. She gets it.

From his story, it is clear that the cats he refers to are not your typical house cat like the lady down the street owns. These are basically feral cats that only stick around because he hasn't chased them away. They use his barn for warmth and his generosity for food. That's not a pet. If I throw some peanuts out in my yard and attract a squirrel that decides he likes me enough to stick around, I am certainly not going to try and bring the thing to a vet should it get sick.

There is a difference between a "companion animal", a "working animal", a "pet", and stray that you feel sorry for. If I give a stray some food, it should consider itself lucky...I already spent too much on it...

Old 02-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #40
tbtusk
No, I agree with the mouse stuff (and possibly on the cat stuff, I don't know). What I'm saying is that in my case my whole family had those animals as pets and we felt we had to take care of them. In general I would not pay much of anything to take care of a mouse that was not a pet.

As for the other stuff I'm not sure and that's your choice, so I don't want to get into an arguement.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google