CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #21
Lucille
I'm thinking that the Disney channel and cutely laundered made-for-tv-movies have spawned a generation of kids who are unaware of the realities of life. I do not fault them one bit, if they have not real gotten info or experience from family or school and if they think that life is 100% warm fuzzies, then they will think like the OP.

The OP might be a troll, but might be a product of Disney. The issue presented by her post is an opportunity to talk about education and living in society, anyway.
Our great-grandmothers went out into the yard, killed and plucked a chicken and cooked it for dinner and the kids saw all that being done.
Today's kids go to the drive-through with their parents and get a bucket to KFC. We tend to think that more modern is better, but in this example, the great g'mom and her family know more about life than the KFC crowd.

Much of today's life is glitzed and deodorized and packaged. If the OP is a troll, I'm all for ignoring her. But who knows, if she is in fact the product of today's society, a gentle reality check would be good for her snake, and for her as well.

The problem with a world run by spin doctors is that it is a disservice to those who have NEVER had their feet on the ground through no fault of their own, and if we can help anchor one inexperienced person at a time, it would be a service to snake and owner both.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
danielle
What a fruitloop. You are a troll- not even a diehard animal rights activist would feed their animals roadkill. I won't be giving you anymore attention and hope others on this forum would do the same.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #23
bekers71
Quote:
Originally Posted by [starla] View Post
Sure, I understand.

I just wonder what kind of life the frozen mice have had before being purchased. That's where the vegan idea originated. My snake was adopted from a previous owner. I wonder if for the greater good it would be more humane to painlessly kill my snake rather than buy frozen mice from the petstores in my area. Not because of the cost but because I don't like supporting petstores that sell animals.
Hmmmm...so lets see if I can get this straight. You adopted a snake from some one else and didn't you know what they ate? Or were you caught up in the moment and didn't think to find out? Better yet..did you not do any research about snake care prior to acquiring the animal? Because if you were not prepared to properly care for your snake you should have passed on getting it. I mean come on. You're supposedly 21 yrs old and in all your life you never knew the diet of a typical snake? Never watch TV? How would you propose making a snake consume some asparagus or some tomato? That's just ridiculously absurd. The most humane thing to do for your snake would be let some one else be it's owner.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #24
snakewispera snr
Chocolate mice...... As long as it's vegan chocolate.....
Unless you have a big snake....
I don't think they do chocolate rats......

Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #25
bekers71
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Chocolate mice...... As long as it's vegan chocolate.....
Unless you have a big snake....
I don't think they do chocolate rats......
Mmmmm...that sounds yummy! Can you send me some??

Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #26
Teddy Roosevelt
Ya'll are posting in a troll thread.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #27
bekers71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Ya'll are posting in a troll thread.
Yeah we know. We're just crazy like that. Then again...you never know when a new snake owner will read this and wonder if it's alright.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #28
wilomn
My first thought was, sure, feeding vegans to snakes is perfectly fine.

Then I realized that most vegans are simply too large to be eaten by most snakes.

That lead me directly to the point where you are either a troll or woefully unedumacated in the needs of our scaley friends.

Find a small time rodent breeder. Most of them produce quality animals, especially if they are themselves keepers of reptiles.

Or find it a new home.

Or try a new forum where you may have more luck with your bait.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #29
tsst
Sure why not. People do it after evolving as omnivorous. Just make sure and coat the tofu with calcium powder and drop the appropriate minerals and vitamins they need in the viv. Right?

just kidding folks

Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #30
tstephe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
My first thought was, sure, feeding vegans to snakes is perfectly fine.

Then I realized that most vegans are simply too large to be eaten by most snakes.

That lead me directly to the point where you are either a troll or woefully unedumacated in the needs of our scaley friends.

Find a small time rodent breeder. Most of them produce quality animals, especially if they are themselves keepers of reptiles.

Or find it a new home.

Or try a new forum where you may have more luck with your bait.
Hahahahaha.. Thats great.. Maybe if she/he is 80ish pounds a full grown burm/retic/conda might be able to get it down.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google