CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #51
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by [starla] View Post
I believed the cats were healthy because the woman who cares for them has devoted her whole life to animal rights. I cannot imagine her treating her cats any less than perfect. I believed cats could be vegan before I believed she had made a mistake.

PETA does not always represent the animal activists in the best light. Some of their campaigns are stupid.
Unless she was supplementing them massively with taurine and arachidonic acid, they would be blind and have heart, liver, and digestive problems. And you get those two from meat. Are the cats indoor only? You should ask her to detail her cats' diets, including every supplement and treat they get.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #52
Hallie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Can't rep you Robbie. :/ We had to do a paper at school on the difference between animal welfare and animal "rights".
Sadly, I'm unable to do so either.

Quote:
And no I don't think that is extreme. I value a mice's life the same as a snake's life.
So by your thinking: (if you eat meat, and I were vegan, which I'm most certainly not) It would not be extreme for me to think you should be killed over a cow because I value the cow's life as much as a human's? See...makes no sense. It is nature's way, get over it.

Quote:
PETA does not always represent the animal activists in the best light. Some of their campaigns are stupid.
Wrong. ALL their campaigns are stupid.

Believe me, I'm all for animal welfare and animals being treated well, but the extreme ideas that PETA and HSUS try to push on everyone are just ridiculous.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #53
LBoz
Quote:
I wonder if for the greater good it would be more humane to painlessly kill my snake rather than buy frozen mice from the petstores in my area. Not because of the cost but because I don't like supporting petstores that sell animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
Killing the snake to benefit the mice he might have eaten is pretty extreme, don't you think?
Quote:
And no I don't think that is extreme. I value a mice's life the same as a snake's life.
I'm sorry, but I'm having difficult wrapping my brain around this. Would it then be more humane for me to painlessly kill my children rather than shop for food for them....because groceries sell meat which means animals were killed. OR if I put them on a vegan diet, that still means animals were harmed by the land cleared and deforestation needed to grow the crops, and those are also sold at groceries. Or perhaps I should just bomb all grocery stores and farms and meat processing plants?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #54
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm having difficult wrapping my brain around this. Would it then be more humane for me to painlessly kill my children rather than shop for food for them....because groceries sell meat which means animals were killed. OR if I put them on a vegan diet, that still means animals were harmed by the land cleared and deforestation needed to grow the crops, and those are also sold at groceries. Or perhaps I should just bomb all grocery stores and farms and meat processing plants?
Of course it is, Lori! After all, their lives and the lives of an animal raised to be food are completely equal, and sacrificing them is the logical way to preserve a food animal!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #55
snakewispera snr
Just my opinion......
Animal welfare is paramount..... Thats why we are here....
Animal rights...... Don't exist... Except in somebodies head...
Animal rights are a BS concept made up by vegans that have nothing better to do......
God i hope I worded that right..... And you know where I am coming from....

Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #56
Emily1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Just my opinion......
Animal welfare is paramount..... Thats why we are here....
Animal rights...... Don't exist... Except in somebodies head...
Animal rights are a BS concept made up by vegans that have nothing better to do......
God i hope I worded that right..... And you know where I am coming from....
Yep.

Animals get welfare because they're incapable of caring for themselves. With rights come inherent responsibility. Because I don't hold animals responsible for their actions, I also don't grant them rights.

For example, my dog does not have the right to choose what she eats, because she is not responsible for her own health and the ensuing vet bills. I am responsible for her health, therefore I have the right to decide what she eats.

Animals gets welfare, not rights.

I feel bad for your friend's cats.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #57
l0ck_0ff
starla you came her pretty much asking to get raided and bombarded with replies that would infact upset you.

let me ask you this. have you ever watched the discovery channel and seen a snake take a chunk out of a ficus???? .... didnt think so.

now instead of fighting this just leave it be. people here care for snakes. dont kill it someone here will take it. and if you were caring for it for over a year then why you ask now?? have your parents kill you because groceries contain meat *thanks lori*

you asked for it. you got it. sorry to be so cold cut and dry

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #58
Katie612
Quote:
Would it then be more humane for me to painlessly kill my children rather than shop for food for them...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallie View Post
So by your thinking: (if you eat meat, and I were vegan, which I'm most certainly not) It would not be extreme for me to think you should be killed over a cow because I value the cow's life as much as a human's?
I don't think there is anything wrong with her saying she values a mouse's life just the same as a snake's life. What is wrong with that? I value both as well. I'm still going to be buying frozen mice for my snake and I know damn well where my hamburgers come from, but I can still value the life and want humane treatment. You guys have no reason to make fun of her saying she values both animals, and comparing that statement to a statement comparing human life vs. animal life is dumb and sounds to me like just a way to make fun.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #59
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie612 View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with her saying she values a mouse's life just the same as a snake's life. What is wrong with that? I value both as well. I'm still going to be buying frozen mice for my snake and I know damn well where my hamburgers come from, but I can still value the life and want humane treatment. You guys have no reason to make fun of her saying she values both animals, and comparing that statement to a statement comparing human life vs. animal life is dumb and sounds to me like just a way to make fun.
We value the mouse and the snake's life. that's why we look down on feeding live, because it causes the mouse to die afraid and in pain, rather than falling asleep in a CO2 chamber. But killing one animal because you don't want to feed it the other is stupid and pointless, and this person is a troll regardless of what they say to the contrary. The less attention we give them the sooner they'll leave.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #60
Katie612
I don't agree with killing the snake to save the mice, but that is because I enjoy having a snake as a pet. Someone who loves and gets attached to mice would see it the other way. We all have biased opinions and it's not okay to say someone else's bias is wrong just because it's different than yours.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google