CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Special delivery from Strange Cargo

Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #31
Tara80
Chip, I have a strawberry amel. The color saturation on him does appear to be a little deeper/richer - if that makes any sense. But to the untrained eye, he would be called "just an amel". He just doesn't have much, if any, white border patches and the red/orange is a little... deeper.
I will have to take some photos of him when I get the time.

Maybe the hypo locus can affect the amel locus to a small degree. Think of Ultra, which DOES counteract amel; almost shutting it down. Although ultra and amel are allelic and hypo and amel are not, maybe there is some sort of linking going on, where one can slightly affect the other. The 'coding' that produces melanin is essentially receiving two separate sets of commands. One that says "reduce melanin" while one says "produce NO melanin".

Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #32
notserp
I am so confused. I'm trying to get a grip on more complicated genetics then I'm used to. Its so hard to tell what your hatchlings are if you buy a snake from someone that gives you the wrong hets : ( Also genes that are present in the appearance of the animal but are hard to see. Like the hypo in a Snow. It would be nice to know in order to plan for her sire. Wouldn't it be nice to have a machine that you could put your snake in and it would tell you all the genetics.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #33
Chip
I honestly find it best to just keep my pets as pets, and buy the projects or ingredients thereof that I want to breed.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #34
notserp
I agree, I'm saying that even if you buy a specifac snake for a breeding project it isn't always what people say it is. Either they are guessing or they make mistakes.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #35
Chip
I try not to deal with people who are guessing. I don't even like poss hets, personally.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #36
notserp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I try not to deal with people who are guessing. I don't even like poss hets, personally.
I wouldn't either if I knew they were guessing. I have just heard many stories about people not getting what they were told they were. It is harder to find the right snake I'm looking for where I live so I have bought from people who I can't completly trust.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #37
Chip
Well, if you sell things that don't prove out, you'll wind up having a bad name in no time. There are many, many reputable breeders here that I would trust completely. I still like working with visuals, unless it's something I simply can't afford. In that case, I usually sell a bunch of stuff and buy it anyway.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #38
Chip
A couple of months later, I figured I'd update. It was a little dark and my camera phone didn't use the flash, so I followed each up with my point and shoot.

Female I would have moved her to a poop-free area, but she has a full belly:

Male (slightly blue):

Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #39
vetusvates
Thanks for the update, Chip. Nice snakes.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #40
Chip
Post shed, they look much better. Funny thing is, until this shed, the male has always looked much brighter than the female. As of this new skin, I think she's pulling away from him. Much lighter, and the pinks are hot.
Male:

Female:

Couldn't get her front and back half both in focus on the flower setting...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google