• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can you ID my snake?

SeverusApophis

I'm new to corn snakes. I got this little guy from a pet store a few months back. He was labeled a blood red but I believe that as much as the feeding schedule they gave me. If it was accurate he's at least 8 months old.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The split belly pattern only goes 2/3 of the way up from his tail.

If you got him from a big box store, I'd believe 8 months. Growth is based on feeding, not age. Big box stores by policy feed one pinky (and ours come in tiny) weekly, which is sufficient to maintain them but not really enough to encourage much growth. Even many mom and pop stores and breeders maintenance feed babies for sale.

Well that is unfortunate. I wanted to get a snake from an expo but it skipped my region this year. He was at the store the longest so I got suckered into buying him.

I don't really know why you think you were suckered into buying him, unless you were looking specifically for a bloodred. He's a nice corn snake and many people like the normal, or classic, colors. Last year I only hatched a few normal and they sold just as quickly as other morphs. In the future I would only buy from reputable breeders, several are right on this forum.

You still have yourself a beauty of a snake. As has often been said, if normal were a new morph people would be tripping over themselves to get one!

I only have two, but one of mine is a very beloved normal -- not even masque! I wouldn't trade her for anything.

I don't think there is anything wrong with normals. There was a normal there that I liked better it wasn't shy at all. They just went on about how this one had been there so long and it was a bloodred. I didn't know any better at the time. They were probably just trying to get me to pay more for him.

Now I got it. I hope you didn't overpay. Hopefully it was ignorance rather than avarice on their part.

I don't think there is anything wrong with normals. There was a normal there that I liked better it wasn't shy at all. They just went on about how this one had been there so long and it was a bloodred. I didn't know any better at the time. They were probably just trying to get me to pay more for him.

Chances are good (especially if it was a big box store) it was sent to them as a bloodred, and because that's what it was in their inventory that's what they have to sell it as. It's just how large stores have to operate. Pet store employees generally don't care how much you spend and frequently would HAPPILY offer a discount if they were able to see an animal go to a stable home. I don't know what the climate is like right now in PetCo or PSP, but at PetSmart the push is for multiple items in a transaction, not big money purchases.

My normal is Gypsy, and she's beautiful. Her oranges and yellows are phenomenal. DollysMom is quite correct...if normal (classic, wild-type) was a new morph, people would be all over it.

Yes I agree with the rest of this being a classic snake. May have been sent to the store as het blood red and they did not know what het was.

Here is a big box corn I recently got who is a blood red for comparison.

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

Back