CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Hurricane Irma

Old 09-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Things haven't gotten too bad yet. The fact that the storm moved onshore and is weakening helps a lot up here in the north part of the state, but certainly not so much for people on the southwest coast of Florida. But on the other hand, had Irma just stayed offshore and cruised up alongside the coast, it would be a LOT worse for a LOT more people.

I'm guessing power will go out here sometime and not sure for how long, as I'm sure a lot of people are going to be without power because of the storm.

Luckily I fixed the Onan generator, so we will have power over in what used to be the old reptile building, and in the garage. We cleaned up the reptile building, so we can sleep in there if necessary.

Hopefully Irma doesn't swing back to the west and then come up the Gulf of Mexico. But heck, looking at the weather radar, just about everyone in Florida is going to be touched by this monster.

Thanks.
Thanks for the update, Rich. This morning it is a tropical storm, but torrential rain and 60 mph winds, while better, are still formidable.

One of my best school friends lives in Cape Coral and evacuated to a friend's house further inland. I've been carefully watching that coast.

I'm still thinking of you and Connie and hoping for the best. Glad you have the generator ready to go! Take good care in the meantime.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
Does anyone know how Orlando is getting on my 17 year old granddaughter there
Pat
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weath...togallery.html

For more information you can google "Orlando Irma" and more news will pop up. The link above is to the local orlando newspaper and they should be a good continuing source for you. The internet makes the world a very small place. Hope your granddaughter is doing okay.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
Patmart
Thank you DollysMom
Pat x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
Twolunger
We had mandatory evacuation from southwest Florida. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale and it was terrible. Very high winds last night and constant tornadoes. Then the power went out, so between the noise of the hurricane, the heat, and the stupid alerts on my nephew's cellphone to take cover, I didn't get any sleep. Irma was heading towards Orlando but loosing strength rapidly. I just got back and put all the snakes in their containers, and mice back in the freezer. Time to pray for all the hurricane victims. My brother lost his home in the Keys near Key West, and he can't even get back to see if anything is salvageable.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 PM   #15
DollysMom
I'm glad you and the snakes are safe Twolunger. Sounds like you went though some rough stuff. So sorry about your brother's house. Praying for your entire family! Praying for all down there in FL.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #16
Twolunger
It was ironic that today all my nephew's neighbors were out assessing the damage and tree limbs that crashed down, but with smiles on their faces because nobody was injured. Tomorrow I have to go check on houses for friends and neighbors who are still stranded in northern Florida due to gas stations without power.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:41 PM   #17
Twolunger
I heard from friends in Orlando and they say everyone is safe and they heard of no injuries or deaths due to Irma. It could have been a lot worse.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #18
Patmart
We haven't heard anything yet but hope we will today the time difference don't help
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Twolunger
Lots of trees down, and power out in some areas. We got so many calls on our cell phones from concerned friends and family that we had to ask them not to call until we got power back on in Lauderdale, which didn't happen. The phone batteries ran down quickly.
that's probably why you haven't heard anything.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #20
Patmart
Ok thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google