CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Would you ever keep venomous snakes?

Old 03-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #31
sallydog77
Ditto to that. Aren't some watersnakes more aggressive than cottonmouths any way? I have heard of people being bitten by cottonmouths by freaking out and trying to get them out of their boats.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #32
MegF.
I haven't handled watersnakes so I couldn't tell you. People get bitten by all sorts of things when they panic and start grabbing at stuff! Never a good idea!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #33
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken
Most likely no. I've had the odd fleeting thought along the lines of "that would be cool..." but never anything serious. I'm just not confident enough to take on venomous snakes. Especially since I would like to have a family in the future, and know I am destined to have children - I don't think venomous snakes have any place in a family household.
What he said!! I am utterly fascinated by venomous snakes and love to entertain the idea that I might someday keep them... but it never goes any further than a dream. I do want children and I keep a variety of other pets, and I am certain my S.O. would NOT appreciate having venomous snakes around. Can't imagine why....

My favorite, hands down, is the Eyelash Viper, with Crotalus atrox coming a close second, and the plain ol' copperhead a third. I frequent the venom forums at FC just for the pics... awesome animals!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #34
SkyChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog77
Ditto to that. Aren't some watersnakes more aggressive than cottonmouths any way? I have heard of people being bitten by cottonmouths by freaking out and trying to get them out of their boats.
The watersnakes I've handled weren't really all that aggressive. But they did writhe, wriggle, musk and crap a lot. But they tend to calm down like other snakes.

I've sought out and found, or incidentally seen, quite a few cottonmouths. Only a very few have been aggressive and struck repeatedly at my stick. Most, however, were suprisingly calm. I've even stood next to them and had them lay there as if I wasn't there. When they feel discovered, most tend to crawl away, but some will hold their ground with mouth agape. When captured, a few will still remain calm with mouth agape as it lies on your stick. Most, however, will bite whatever you are catching them with (stick, branch, etc). Not a striking type bite, but rather a slow and purposeful clamp.

In all my days herping for cottonmouths or fishing in cottonmouth country, I've never seen one high enough on a branch that it could fall in a boat. I've seen some basking on logs and branches on or VERY near the ground/water, but never more than a few inches off the ground/water. Cottonmouths are not at all arboreal as far as I know. In fact, I've never seen a watersnake more than a foot or so off the surface of the water. I think these tales of snakes falling into boats is BS. There is a video of professional fisherman Bill Dance on the receiving end of a falling snake, but I think its staged.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95409883499090

Old 11-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #35
MalinoisK9
Female Naja annulifera

This is my newest addition. African Snouted Cobra (Naja annulifera)

Old 11-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #36
Karl_Mcknight
There are some Religious Groups that use Bible scripture to show their faith by handling dangerous snakes in their worship services. I live in Tennessee and this is still practiced here, and in Kentucky, West Virginia, and other states as well.

Venomous snakes are certainly dangerous, and every now and then you hear a story in the news or on TV about a "Religious Wacko" that got bit by a Rattlesnake in a church service.......

But for the "One you actually hear about" there are possibly hundreds or thousands of "Snake Handling Sessions" that go on without incident.

These Parishioners don't just go out into the forest and catch a wild rattle snake and then take it to church on Sunday, rather, they obtain these snakes when young and take very good care of them and raise them. Even though venomous (usually Rattlesnakes) they become somewhat tame and are handled frequently just like I do my Corn snake.

Which proves, that even a "Mean Ol' Poisonous Snake" won't always bite. Snakes bite for 2 reasons. 1). to obtain food, and 2). to protect themselves.

A snake knows it can't swallow a human, so it's not going to bite for food. Most snake bites occur because the snake is alarmed, scared, startled or hurt.

If the snake has no reason to fear you then it won't bite.

This is why hundreds or possibly thousands of people are able to "Under the Name of God" handle poisonous snakes successfully and not get bitten. Of course it's not because "God was with them" rather it's because the "Pet Rattlesnake" just didn't want to bite.

Of course anybody who has ever kept a pet snake (of any kind) knows that sometimes even a docile friendly Corn Snake will bite, and so sometimes a Pet Rattlesnake will too.

If the pet corn snake bites it's al alcohol swab and a bandaid but if your Rattlesnake at church bites you, it's a trip to the hospital, and even the possibility of death.

So........ I believe it is probably possible to keep and house a Poisonous snake, and never have any consequences from it, but it only takes that one time and for that reason I will stick to Boas and Corn Snakes.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #37
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalinoisK9 View Post
This is my newest addition. African Snouted Cobra (Naja annulifera)
That's a beautiful animal. Congrats and thanks for sharing your pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post

Of course anybody who has ever kept a pet snake (of any kind) knows that sometimes even a docile friendly Corn Snake will bite, and so sometimes a Pet Rattlesnake will too.

If the pet corn snake bites it's al alcohol swab and a bandaid but if your Rattlesnake at church bites you, it's a trip to the hospital, and even the possibility of death.

So........ I believe it is probably possible to keep and house a Poisonous snake, and never have any consequences from it, but it only takes that one time and for that reason I will stick to Boas and Corn Snakes.
Lol, Karl you need to consult more with Rufus while posting. He'd remind you it's "venomous", not "poisonous".

In my state, it is illegal for an individual to keep venomous snakes, although hoggies and even garters are now technically considered mildly venomous they are evidently not included (which is a good thing).

I live two blocks from the boundary and about 3/4 of a mile from the entrance of a world class zoo, so I let them handle the really large and or venomous snakes. I enjoy observing them in naturalistic enclosures behind thick glass.

They have an awesomely beautiful copperhead, btw, and every time I see it I wonder how anyone can mistake a corn snake for a copperhead. They don't look at all alike though they are both really beautiful.

Also, since I've had an escape (and Lord knows I was careful about closing the enclosure though I didn't realize the design flaw), and the cobra loose in Florida is still pretty recent in my mind, I think it is better for people like me to keep harmless snakes. With so many interesting and beautiful harmless snakes in the world there is no reason for the average herp keeper to keep snakes that have the potential to seriously injure or kill.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #38
Karl_Mcknight
yes it's supposed to be illegal "To keep them" where I live too, except the Religious folks get away with it because of "The Free Practice of their Faith without Government Intrusion"

The point I was trying to make is that these Venomous Snakes that the Religious Fanatics handle are not "Wild Snakes" rather they are caught very young and raised to be handled every Sunday by dozens of people.

I'd like to see one of these folks that preach "They Will Take up Serpents without fear......" actually go out into the woods and practice their faith with a fresh caught wild one.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #39
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post

I'd like to see one of these folks that preach "They Will Take up Serpents without fear......" actually go out into the woods and practice their faith with a fresh caught wild one.
I'd rather see them leave the poor snakes alone!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #40
MalinoisK9
I'd love to see them set down those captive Crotalus and pick up some WC Naja melanoleuca or Pseudonaja textilis. Free handle some of those and I will be "impressed" with their stupid stunts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google