CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Transparent Hypo? Blue Ice?

Old 09-16-2003, 01:42 AM   #1
Kat
Transparent Hypo? Blue Ice?

Does anyone have any information on these hypos this guy is claiming he discovered? It's interesting, and I don't doubt that he's discovered a new form of hypo (it seems to be all too common lately), but I can't say I'd pay the asking price. The 'Blue Ice' corns seem pretty undeserving of the name... I have to use alot of imagination to even see the faintest hint of blue to them...

Thoughts? Opinions? Extra info I don't have?

Here's the links:

Transparent hypo
Blue Ice

-Kat Hall

Old 09-16-2003, 01:51 AM   #2
Taceas
Re:

The transparent hypo is weird looking. And I don't deny the whole hypo mess either. Maybe we'll never know the whole hypo puzzle. He may have something there. No way to tell really.

As for the "Blue Ice" corns, while they are pretty, I don't see anything other than a very nice pastel ghost.

The head does have a faint bluish colour to it, but then again so does my charcoal ghost's and he wasn't sold to me as anything other than a charcoal ghost.

I think it's just an exceptionally coloured pastel ghost corn and he's trying to make more off of it than everyone else. Dishonest dealings or clever advertising, who's to know.

I'm with you though, I'm not about to pay his asking price for what is probably nothing all that spectacular in the end.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:36 AM   #3
limey
i got to agree with you guys they dont appear to be nothin new but then you never can tell, they just look like exceptional normal hypos and ghosts, not that i am any expert but then there you go....the titles just seem a little to grand for the animals in question.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
Darin Chappell
I agree with the idea that there is no way to prove what this fellow is saying. Frankly, I can't see how two breedings to two hypos (for which I would suspect there is equally deluded information as to what genetics THEY were carrying) in just two successive years, could possibly prove anything at all. Producing hets doesn't prove what your animal IS, it just proves that ONE of the parents ISN'T something. It says nothing about the heterozgosity (word?) of either parent involved. So, from a breeding project perspective, I would say that his claims are premature, to say the least.

However, from a perspective of advertisement, I would suggest that this guy IS being dishonest in his claims (whether intentionally or not is another issue we really cannot address). Why? Exactly BECAUSE what he has could not have possibly been proven through the genetic "testing" he cited. He cannot know for sure what types of hypo are floating around in his snakes, but he is selling them as a newly discovered morph based upon a supposed blue-head trait showing up in his ghosts? And he is selling his "transparent hypos" (whatever THAT means) as being "het" for "blue ice"?????

I'm sorry. Either the guy doesn't know what in the world he's talking about, or he does. If he doesn't, I would steer clear from his animals, because you could never know what in the world was in that "mix." If he does, he's purposefully being deceptive, and I would definitely steer clear of THAT!

Old 09-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #5
carol
I saw these snakes in person at a show in San Diego last year. The guy had some really nice stuff, including an amazing lav stripe. The snakes did look really great, but that is no proof that they are something different. They also had some weird eyes much like T+/T- snakes in question. The snakes did look more "blue" in person and some had tons of pink, but obviously, I wasn't willing to stick my head out and pay the price either.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
Serpwidgets
I can't say I'd be surprised to see more hypo genes out there. I bet Kat will get F2 hypos that closely resemble the pictured "Transparent" hatchling.

I tried reading his description several times, but he used so many different names for things. WTF is a "Super Hypo" and how does that differ from Hypo, Sunkissed, and the "Transparent" hypo?

(Egh, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the names. I can't see its intestines or liver or heart, so it's not transparent. And THIS is blue. When you can hold it up 10 feet away and I see blue, I'll accept a cornsnake being called "blue" anything. Until then, it's NOT BLUE, thank you very much. )

I think it could be a legit "trait" though, based on what I've deciphered so far. My sense is that he's had this line for quite a while (maybe 10 years?) and has at least gone through the F2s with it. If he could write the story of the breeding trials in a way that made sense, it would probably help. And I'd really prefer if the original individual(s) were outcrossed to something that has no Hypo already in it... to be 100% sure it's actually its own "new" form of hypomelanism. ("I crossed it to a hypo and got hypos in the f2..." well duh...)

My questions are:

"Is this phenotype known to be caused by only a single mutation, or are we looking the combination of more than one form of hypomelanism?"

"Have progeny of this phenotype been proven to not express either known form of hypo? ('Standard Hypo' or Sunkissed)"

I hope it is something new. The more the merrier. Maybe we'll catch up with the mice people soon.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:04 AM   #7
kenster
Quote:
Originally posted by Serpwidgets
(Egh, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the names. I can't see its intestines or liver or heart, so it's not transparent. And THIS is blue. When you can hold it up 10 feet away and I see blue, I'll accept a cornsnake being called "blue" anything. Until then, it's NOT BLUE, thank you very much. )

Hey Serp,
Don't beat around the bush...how do you really feel about the names??

Maybe i'm just blind or an idot (please keep comments to a minimum ) but i didn't see anything "special" about those corns....

Ken

Old 09-17-2003, 09:40 PM   #8
eddie
all he is trying to do as u all may know is scam the new corn snake lovers into buying a pastle ghost.. did anyone think it could be shedding in the picture and could have been the lighting that makes it look that color? as for the tranparent hypo... loos to me that he put a gloshy cream over the snake.. maybe vasoline or neosporine? could that help? or is it just me? i could be wrong but its just me. i think hes just a scamer

Old 09-18-2003, 01:52 AM   #9
cka
JMO I would want to know a little bit more about the "Super" Hypo, especially where (more to the point, what) the parents of a super hypo were. There's been talk of "ultra" hypo corns, that may have had grey rat bred into them sometime back in the lineage to get a kind of "frosted" look...I agree with Serp on the name thing, too...Think I'm stickin' with the prettiest normals I can (hope) to find :*)

Old 09-18-2003, 04:35 AM   #10
Serpwidgets
Hmm.. I definitely see something "different" in these pics. The "ghost" is IMO different from a pastel ghost, and the "hypo," especially the hatchling, is definitely a more extreme expression of hypo... it almost looks like an Amel to me.

As to whether they are special, well, I don't see stripes as special, but it's definitely a different trait than all the rest.

To sum up, I hate the names, but it looks like it's possible that this is indeed something "new." (If I hadn't seen a similar "hypo" in the flesh I'd probably be a lot more skeptical, too.) I just wish we could get more (and more decipherable) information about it.

cka, I hadn't heard of the grey rats being mixed in to make ultrahypos, any idea where more information about that (esp pics) could be found?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google