CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Hypo stripe ID

Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
djwright
Hypo stripe ID

Hi

This is my first post although I have been following the site for sometime. Anyways on the weekend I went to a reptile expo and came home with something haha. He was sold as hypo stripe but once I got home I questioned that identification, did some reading, and now I believe him to be a pinstripe motely. I was hoping some trained eyes would be able to verify this.

Here are some pics:

The belly picture is horrible exposure but he wasn't cooperating so I had to put him in a deli cup so I could take the picture.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Ravenessa
Hmmm he looks a lot like the hypo stripe that pops up when I google it... but far from certain... he's a pretty snake!!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
djwright
Thanks yeah I couldn't resist buying him. One reason why I question his morph, is because in the pictures of stripes that I have looked at, the two side bands seem to be more narrow than what is occurring in my snake. His centre stripe also seems more narrow than stripes, from what I have seen he seems to be opposite from the stripe description. Again this is just a guess as I am new to the corn morph world.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Nanci
I agree his central stripe _does_ seem very narrow. To be honest, the first thing I thought of when I saw him was striped tessera- based on the marking at the start of the tail.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Shiari
Probably a pinstripe motley. Definitely not a homozygous stripe UNLESS tessera is at play, which is unlikely.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
djwright
Thanks for the input everyone, based on the price I payed for him I doubt he has any tessera going on. So I am going to go with motley pinstripe.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
Nanci
Which does not mean his genetics are motley/stripe. It could just as well be motley/motley. The presence of one stripe gene does not influence the phenotype.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
djwright
That's something I was curious about, when something is 'Motley pinstripe' is it most likely just motley/motley genotypically? But then instead of having the typical separate motley pattern, they have just fused into one long stripe? I was trying to looking up information on the forum about possible explanations for the pinstripe phenotype but I haven't had an luck. Is it possibly a genotype X environment effect?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google