CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Basic Corn Snake Care

Old 12-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
Petlover500
Basic Corn Snake Care

I am not sure if this kind of info is allowed on here, or if i have to ask to post it?

What You Need for a Corn Snake

Cages
You will need a 10 gallon tank for a baby corn snake. When they mature, and grow over 20 inches, they will need a 20 gallon long tank. (But bigger is always better! Of course a 20 gallon would be ok for a baby!) The tank you buy will need a very secure screen lid. Corn Snakes are escape artists, and will look for weaknesses in the lid, so you need to make sure your lid is nice and tight.

Substrate
There is a wide variety of substrate choices, such as Repti-Sand, Aspen, CareFRESH, very fine dirt or sand, newspaper, or paper towel. Newspaper and paper towel are recommended for babies, because it is easy to clean and cheap. Fine dirt and sand are not recommended for younglings, because it can get impacted in their nostrils and they could ingest it, because of their aggressive eating behavior. CareFRESH and Aspen make great burrowing material, and is fun for them to slither through. My baby Corn loves dirt; she always buries herself in the sand and slithers around under it. (She does get it in her nostrils sometimes though, but it isn't stuck for long.)

Water Dish
Your baby corn snake will need a big enough water dish/bowl for him to curl around, and bathe in it, with a comfortable amount of room in it. You will need to change the water often. I recommend ever 1-3 days. Because your snake may defecate in the water, and you don’t want them drinking the water they are going to the bathroom in, because it can lead to illness. They may also use the water dish to soak in before a shed- but not all snakes do this.

Hide Aways & Climbing Structures
Your snake will need some sort of hideaway in his cage. It provides a sense of comfort, and safety. If your snake does not have a hideaway, he can become stressed, and ill. I often choose very smooth rock-based hideaways, because your snake can also bask on top of it.
A climbing structure will help your snake to not get bored. Popular choices are leafy tree-like structures, branches, stacked rocks, and large sticks. You can buy all these at your local pet store. They also give a great nature-themed cage look.

Lighting and Heating
There are no special lighting requirements, but I prefer to use a 50-75 watt white light bulb lamp that I place on top of the screen lid, and turn on in the morning and off at night.
Your Corn’s cage must stay between 70-85° Fahrenheit. Lower or higher than that for a period of time can lead to sicknesses.
You have a choice between a heating pad, and a light. Heating pads must go on the outside of the cage, on the bottom of the cage that the hide is on. It must be on the cave side of the cage. Not the water bowl side. Heating pads can also give your snake belly burn, so you have to be careful. they can also reach deadly temperatures, so you have to make sure you have a thermometer hooked to the heating pad. Heat pads are also a fire hazard, so you have to be aware of that.
You can also get Lights, like I described in the first paragraph of this section.
But the light must also be on the but side, not the water bowl side.

You will also need a Thermometer and humidity gauge, to make sure the temperature stays from 70-85° F and around 20-35% humidity. 60-70% humidity is ideal before your snake sheds. You will know before they shed because their eyes will get a milky look, and the scales will seem dull and 'dusty'. This is called Blue.
After your snake completes her shed, her eyes and scales will be bright, clean, and normal again.

Feeding
When your snake is small, they can eat a Pinkie. A pinkie is a dead or alive newborn mouse. So if you have a snake, you have to be ok with feeding baby mice. (If you wish to feed worms and such, black snakes and garter snakes are a better choice for you.)
If you feed f/t (frozen and thawed), you will need to keep the pinkies in the freezer until the day you are going to feed. Then, you must put the frozen pinkie in a bag (or the bag it’s in), in a bowl or cup of lukewarm water, and let it thaw for 2 hours.
Then, you can move your snake to a separate cage, tank, or box for feeding. This helps with your snake not accidentally biting your finger, thinking its food, when you reach in to grab him when he is in his regular cage.

Next, dangle the pinkie from its tail with prongs, offering the food nose-to-nose with your snake. Your snake should strike, grabbing the prey with its mouth. When it does, let the snake do the rest of the work. Your snake will not constrict its prey.

Then after your snake has eaten his pinkie, you can move him back to his regular tank. Try not to handle your snake for at least 18-24 hours after his meal. If you frighten him, right after her has eaten, he may regurgitate his prey.

If you feed live, Buy your pinkie the day you are going to feed your snake. (You can also breed mice for snake food.) And then move your snake to its separate box, and plop the pinkie in with your snake. Your snake should slowly approach the pinkie, then strike. He should then, coil around the pinkie, constricting it. If your snake doesn't do this, and eats the prey while it is still alive, this usually means the pinkie is too small. (A rule of thumb is, snakes can eat as much to 2x the size of their head, or largest part of their body.) Like I said above, after your snake is done swallowing the prey, move him back to his own cage, and close the lid.
After your snake grows out of pinkies, he will move on to fuzzies, then hoppers, and then adult mice. Small rats are fed to monster sized Corns.
Remember to never underfeed your snakes. They should be fed every 5-7 days.

Handling
Corn Snakes, for the most part, are extremely docile snakes, making them great for beginners. Don’t handle your for snake 2-7 days after you get it. This will allow your snake to get used to its new set-up, and used to you.
But after that, the more handling, the more friendly and the sociable your snake will become. This will pay off for when he is older. Bad habits are harder to break in older snakes, because they can cause more injury to you than baby snakes. But like I said, corn snakes almost never strike their owners, and if they ever do, it doesn't break the skin. It might cause a scratch if it is an adult, but it won’t hurt very much at all.

Size & Lifespan
Corn Snakes get up to 5 feet in length, and very rarely reach 6 feet. They stay very small in width; about 1.5” at most. This makes them easy to handle when they are adults, unlike adult pythons or boas.
Corn Snakes can live up to 15 - 20 years, so you have to be ready for a big commitment. Buying new bedding when needed, buying food every week, and your time and effort to keep them happy and healthy.

Written by me

Old 12-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
Petlover500
I can't seem to edit my post.... :/

Old 12-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
smigon
Some of our members who have been here for years have already made care sheets and they are already posted to this forum. You can leave yours up, it will always be in the archives.

Here are a few things I would tweak on yours, corns DO NOT need a light, it actually can harm or blind certain morphs.

Sand as a substrate is not good for any corn snake.

It is the general consensus of members here that you never feed live. There is no benefit and only negatives. It is really cruel to the mouse and the snake can get scratched or bitten during the struggle. I'd stick to F/T.

And to be able to edit your posts you need to become a member. Just click on the coins on some member's posts, it will give you the information.

Welcome to the site, I am sorry that someone beat you to the care sheet thing!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
grub
Sand as substrate?

Hi- we are hoping to keep our new snake's habitat as natural as possible. Can we just use sand, sticks and rocks that we find in our woods (as they would live in in-the-wild?) Thank you!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
Hi- we are hoping to keep our new snake's habitat as natural as possible. Can we just use sand, sticks and rocks that we find in our woods (as they would live in in-the-wild?) Thank you!
I would say no to the sand (just a bad idea, if the snake swallows some it can become impacted in their intestines and kill it).

Sticks are okay, but you have to use totally dead wood, and not cedar or pine. These have oils in them that can be deadly to the snake. Also, you have to completely sterilize them. This includes boiling in water with a splash or two of bleach for about 20 minutes, then rinse well and bake them at about 225° for about 30 minutes to ensure all the critters inside are dead. Then examine the wood often, one member here used "found" wood and when she was cleaning the viv she found bad mold problems on the sticks.

Rocks are a great decoration. Make sure they don't have really sharp edges. I like river rock the best, in different sizes and colors. Follow the above disinfecting protocol for wood with the stones, sans the baking.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
grub
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'll order a bark or husk substrate today. She was a Christmas gift, and ate the f/t pinkie right away. We then went away for a week and now she won't eat. We put her in a separate viv, even overnight, but perhaps she's just not hungry yet?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
zorro
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'll order a bark or husk substrate today. She was a Christmas gift, and ate the f/t pinkie right away. We then went away for a week and now she won't eat. We put her in a separate viv, even overnight, but perhaps she's just not hungry yet?
I would not use anything but aspen bedding, no to bark or husk stuff. Maybe she is shedding, if she ate for you once stick with the way she ate the first time. If she doesn't eat wait a while (at least 4-5 days) and watch her for signs of shedding.
John

Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Rigby & Marcy
I agree with the above, and if you want a natural looking substrate, I find that aspen chips/curls look more like the forest floor than shredded aspen. It's browner and kind of gives the impression of leaves and dirt.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google