CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Two Weeks of Not Eating

Old 06-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
kcaven
Exclamation Two Weeks of Not Eating

I know two weeks does not seem to be very long for snakes to not eat but I am getting a little worried (ok a lot) because the last time he ate was Monday of Memorial Day Weekend. I wouldnt be that concerned because I know snakes can sometimes not eat when they are in blue and mine has been for the past almost week (I think). He has a very "dull filmy" look to his scales. He has a faint "opaly" coloring to his head. That means hes in blue, right? His eyes look clear, not cloudy at all. But the lady I bought him from said he has never refused a meal. What am I doing wrong? He ate so easily his first feeding for me.

Today: I put him in his feeding tank, tried dangling it gently for about 5 minutes and he seems afraid of it. He keeps going the other way. So I laid it on the bottom of the tank and covered his tank with jackets for privacy. Ive had him in his tank for the past 45 minutes with it and it is still there. How long should I leave him in there with it?

Do you all handle your snakes before they are fed? Should I not handle him right before he is fed?

How long should I wait to feed him again? I dont want to wait a whole week again should I? Maybe 3 days?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Corny Noob
I know it's stressful for you. But I'm sure you're more worried than he is.
I recently went through something similar with my sank. She used to ALWAYS and I MEAN ALWAYS take it from me on the tongs.
Now she's changed just like other animals, she's decided she wants it differently. Now I have to place it down in the feeding container with her and cover her up. And leave her for at least an hour.
If you start getting desperate just as long as you're waiting between scheduled feedings (Ie if he eats every 7 days only try every 7 days)and not trying too often, try leaving him in his container overnight.
As long as everything is stable with his environment and he's not losing weight you're fine, just breath

Old 06-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
kcaven
So how long should I leave him in his feeding tank? Overnight?
Wont the mouse get cold/smelly/rotten? Will he be ok with no heat source?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Corny Noob
Does the feeding tank fit into his tank?
But yeah he will be ok overnight, the only problem is if he doesn't eat it you definately have to trash it, no refreezing that.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
kcaven
His feeding tank doesn't fit into his viv. His viv is a 20L and his feeding tank is a 10 gal.

But thats ok, HE ATE IT! I just left him in there (uncovered) with the mouse after I rewarmed it. I was on the computer and I turned around maybe 10 minutes after my last post and it was gone! Nothing left but a lump in his body! I am SOOOOOOO relieved. (Can you hear exhale?l lol)

I also wet it when I was rewarming it. I wonder if that made the difference?

Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
kcaven
Sorry for the double post... but I forgot to tell you..what a beautiful baby you have! He is beautiful! Congratulations!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Corny Noob
Thanks

Glad he ate told you not to stress. Just make sure its nice and hot still right when you leave him with it and just go back to your business, a lot of snakes don't like being watched.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
kcaven
Yeah I guess I figured becaue the lady who sold him to me told me she did the dangle/wiggle feeding technique that that is what I had to do. He took it that way the first time right away. My kids get very excited to see him eat...I make them watch very quietly and sitting very still "like a statue" (lol)...I guess its just still too much for him.

Im just so relieved..now I can relax for the evening

Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Corny Noob
Also something else to consider if you have any trouble in the future. Try a smaller feeding container. Too much room is distracting.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
kcaven
Question Not Eating b/c He's in Blue for 3 Weeks!!??

I came back to this post because this past Sunday...again....MoJo did not eat... even after I left the hopper in his tank for an hour and a half. I didnt read about the smaller feeding tank size until just now. I will have to try that next Sunday. He seems to go to the other side of the tank as the mouse. If I put it in front of him he goes to the other side of the tank (10 gal). I dont know...but it seems to me that he has been "in blue" for weeks now. Is that possible? He has 50 % humidity in his tank and lots of wood to rub on for shedding. His color just keeps getting duller and duller. Does it normally take this long? Maybe this is why he's having feeding problems? Ive had him for a month and for the past three weeks he has been getting gradually bluer with each week but no shed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google