CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Help with temps!

Old 07-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Rocky2908
Help with temps!

Hi everyone! Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I’m still learning how to navigate through the forum.

I’m reading some conflicting information on the temperatures I need to keep the viv. I use a under viv heat mat set at 29’ on one side of the viv.

A book I am reading recommends turning off all heat at night as that is what would be happening in the wild? Is this something I need to do? Or should I leave that side at 29’ all the time?

Thank you.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
"Consistency" is my motto. Keep one side of the cage unheated (room temp) and the other side heated, year round, day and night, all the time. The snake will have the option to warm and cool himself as he wants to.

A lot of people do turn the heat off at night. Some people use no heat at all. It sort of depends on the climate and temps you live in. The problem I have found is that there are times when it gets unusually hot or cold, and times when you might "forget" to turn something on or off.........

So why bother if you don't have to? Just get it right and leave it alone. Most of us do that.

Your temp of 29 - 30 is fine for the warm side, the cool side should be around 22 - 23. Try not to let the hot side exceed 31, or the cool side to go below 21. And your snake will be fine.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Rocky2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
"Consistency" is my motto. Keep one side of the cage unheated (room temp) and the other side heated, year round, day and night, all the time. The snake will have the option to warm and cool himself as he wants to.

A lot of people do turn the heat off at night. Some people use no heat at all. It sort of depends on the climate and temps you live in. The problem I have found is that there are times when it gets unusually hot or cold, and times when you might "forget" to turn something on or off.........

So why bother if you don't have to? Just get it right and leave it alone. Most of us do that.

Your temp of 29 - 30 is fine for the warm side, the cool side should be around 22 - 23. Try not to let the hot side exceed 31, or the cool side to go below 21. And your snake will be fine.
Thank you so much, that’s really helpful as I thought the same thing re consistency and surely it’s more beneficial to maintain a consistent environment.
Do you have any tips on keeping the cool side cool? What would I do if it were too warm?

Old 07-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky2908 View Post
Thank you so much, that’s really helpful as I thought the same thing re consistency and surely it’s more beneficial to maintain a consistent environment.
Do you have any tips on keeping the cool side cool? What would I do if it were too warm?
Corn snakes can tolerate a wide range of temperatures considering where they naturally come from, Southeastern USA. However, just because they can tolerate something in the wild does not mean they should be forced to tolerate it if kept as a pet.

The fact you are asking this question about what to do if the temps get too warm, causes me to think that A). It gets fairly warm in your locale, and B). You have no air conditioning to keep your indoor temps constant.

What kind of temps are you worried about? How warm (hot) is your Cool Side likely to get?

Old 07-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Rocky2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Corn snakes can tolerate a wide range of temperatures considering where they naturally come from, Southeastern USA. However, just because they can tolerate something in the wild does not mean they should be forced to tolerate it if kept as a pet.

The fact you are asking this question about what to do if the temps get too warm, causes me to think that A). It gets fairly warm in your locale, and B). You have no air conditioning to keep your indoor temps constant.

What kind of temps are you worried about? How warm (hot) is your Cool Side likely to get?
I suppose I’m just worried in general as I’m a first timer and just want to look after him carefully and properly. We’re experiencing very warm weather at the moment (which were not used to might I add!). The cool side at the moment is varying between 22-25 but I have a dial type thermometer so not sure how reliable that is (digital on its way)
We don’t have air conditioning, unfortunately living in England it wouldn’t be put to much use! We have a fan though!
The highest our house gets is 29 degrees even in This current heat wave.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
you should be ok then. I'd be more worried about a pet snake getting too cold in the winter than being too warm in the summer. However, I'll stick by my original comments and repeat, Consistency is best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google