CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

A Big Black Rat - DUW

Old 10-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
SkyChimp
A Big Black Rat - DUW

I went snake-huntin' and flippin' today for the first time in months. I found this monster under a pice of tin:

Old 10-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Roy Munson
Awesome. That first open-mouthed shot kicks butt. And he even gave you a little memento of your encounter!

Old 10-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
SkyChimp
That was a tiny little nip when I first got within range of his mouth. He bit and immediately let go. After that, he was downright docile. I got a few more shots with our faces side-by-side but they turned out blurry. My biggest fear was that he was going to crap on me. As he crawled through my hands, his belly and bowl gurgled .

Old 10-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
TandJ
That Dude, is kick butt.. Excellent find, on a warm and sunny fall day..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
SkyChimp
Here's where I found him:

And him on his merry way:

Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Nanci
Excellent! I've only captured one, once. He was so docile he let me take him for a couple mile mountain bike ride to try to catch up with my friends that ditched me while I was snake hunting.

Nanci

Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Velvet
Wow! That is so so cool! Nice find!!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Jay@PJCReptiles
What a great find. Those pictures are awesome skychimp. I would love to find something like that. That guy a awesome with his mouth wide open like that. Looks like he didn't have a problem introducing himself to your hand either. Great momento of your encounter. Way to take one for the team.
Jay

Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
texastailfeathers
Awesome! That is one angry snake!

As I was scrolling through the pics, I kept wondering when I'd see bite marks.

Nice find.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
SkyChimp
Actually, he was a pussy-cat. The only time he tried to bite me was when I first pulled him out from under the tin. I had to be very careful as to not injure him and I let my hand get too close as he was coming out. After that bite, he calmed right down. The "angry" face was only for the camera. When he was close to the camera, he'd open his mouth. When I took it away, he closed it. Maybe he saw his reflection or thought it was a predator's eye. Once I had him and was able to support his big body, he was completely docile. I had no reservations about letting him crawl around my neck.

I found that with Black Rats, with very few exceptions, they are very docile once they've been handled for a few minutes. I was really hoping to find a baby to take home with me. This guy was just too big.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google