CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Do me a favor...

Old 01-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Serpwidgets
Do me a favor...

Everybody knows some people who are not into corns, and/or know nothing about their genetics. So, please ask one or more of those people the following question, and report back the answers you get.

Q- "If I told you I had a snake that was called a "snow blood" what do you think it looks like?"

I asked my friend Ian the question and here's what I got:

A- "White with red spots. Anyone who has ever lived in snow has seen blood on snow. Snow and blood is white with red spots..."

Please, share your experiences here.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Walter Smith
Hey Serp,

Lets also ask:

I have a snake called an Avalanche Corn, what would you think it looks like? and see what replies that one gets.

It should be very interesting.

Walter
P.S. I will be getting with you soon on getting the 2005 version of your book.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Serpwidgets
This question is only secondary, and there is already a thread devoted to that. Many people have indicated that they believe "snow blood" IS a good descriptor, so let's put it to the test.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
This question is only secondary, and there is already a thread devoted to that. Many people have indicated that they believe "snow blood" IS a good descriptor, so let's put it to the test.
Well it seems to me that since there is already a thread covering this question and MANY people believe that "Snow Blood" IS a good descriptor over "Avalanche", then it has already been put to the test.

I'm not sure what's trying to be proven by the question

Walter

Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
carol
Gee, I hope I don't get a big fat off topic sign too, but...
I sappose if you ask someone with no genetic knowledge what an amel, anery, or hypo corn would look like and they wouldn't be able to tell you either. I don't think there is anything that could be done to help people who know nothing about corns. However, if we try our best to stick with using the names of recessive genes instead of trade names a person only has to learn the dozen or so recessive genes and they would know what makes up any corn labled by it's traits.
Like I said, rank beginners will have to start somewhere. Hopefully they will start with all the single recessive traits including "Blood" the pattern trait not the color trait. You take someone with that basic knowledge and they know what a Snow Blood is. You ask them about Avalaches, Glaciers, Raiders, Plasmas....
We have to tackle this issue knowing that dozens of new morphs are on the horizon. With all the combinations possible we could end up with dozens and dozens of morphs. You're great at numbers and genetics Serp, how many combinations possible are there? If we give them all trade names how many names is that for people to have learn and ask about? Not to mention all the discussions finding one everyone endes up settling on so we can all try to stay universal. LOL.
However, again if we teach them the basic traits and use those traits in the lable whenever possible it gets way less messy.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
Clint Boyer
I asked my daughter who knows ziltch about snakes, what these names made her think of. No other info (other then it was related to corn snake) was supplied her other then what it made her think of.

Amel = a male snake
anery = a baby female snake
hypo = an A-D-D snake
Snow Blood = a white snake with red viens
diffuse = an electrical snake

Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Serpwidgets
I don't think the question is unreasonable to ask. If you don't want to answer it, then don't. But I would appreciate if people would not pull the thread off track.

As an alternative to the above verbal-only question, I would offer this one:

Which one of these snakes is a "snow blood?"

Old 01-04-2005, 10:11 PM   #8
Spirit
I was going to join in with "What is a piebald corn".

Old 01-05-2005, 01:01 AM   #9
gardenmum
Well, I don't know if I would say Walter's question was off topic or secondary. My reasoning is that if you want to know if Snow Blood holds up when asked to a person who knows nothing about either corns or the genetics of corns, then the same really should definitely apply to ALL names given to our corns to be a fair question in determining the results.

I will say that I feel the reason people are saying they think that Snow Blood is a good indicator of the morph is because it tells us what that snake is without having to learn a new trade name and then what the trade name stands for, especially when it is a mixture of color and pattern names where a simple use of the mixture gives the picture well.

When a "newbie" starts learning about corns (or anything someone is newly into) they start with the basics. That is a must if you want to understand what you are learning. So, that means we start with the simple morphs and what color/look that name stands for. All the basic forms have names, and most of which are pretty properly descriptive of the corn's looks or hold a more scientific term. If a person learns the basic morphs...... amel, anery, snow, normal, motley, stripe, bloodred, caramel, butter, etc., then when they hear that a snake is a Caramel Blood Motley, they have a pretty good mental vision of what that snake will possibly look like. They know it will be a caramel type coloring with the "diffussion" of the blood and with some sort of motley type pattern. What that snake will exactly look like is dependent on the particular genes but we still get a pretty good picture possibility. So, this is why the name Snow Blood is considered a good indicator of what the morph is.....simply because, that is exactly what the morph is.

Believe me, I am not saying Avalanche is a bad name as I very much like it. But do we want to do this? And if so, is it for the betterment of our hobby?

Obviously if a new trait is found that is not related to the ones already have names, such as Lava and our newly found Ultramel, then these have to be given desinated names as we can't refer to the snake as "the corn with the funny hypo and amel combined look".

I think it is just people are asking that we take a step back and slow down and look at why we want to name something, if it is really necessary to apply a trade name to it and maybe even come up with some standard of naming that will benefit the corn business/hobby as its future progresses, maybe like what Walter suggested in his posting about not giving snakes with combined color and pattern traits designated names but saving designated names for multi color trait animals and such. I am not saying that this is a given choice for a naming standard, just that maybe if we put our heads together we can come up with some sort of standard to use in the "naming game" so it doesn't end up to be a free-for-all some time down the road that everyone will be regretting.

As more and more people get involved with the corns, it is going to get more and more imparative that some sort of organization of things take place so the future in this wonderful hobby/business of ours is not "blown open". I am NOT saying that is what is happening now but that it is something that I think anyone who has a serious interest in this hobby should keep in mind. For what we do today will impact the hobby tomorrow, there is no denying that. I think we really have to be careful of what trends we want to start. Should we consider how many trade names we want to have to be explaining to new comers down the road and why they are being applied? I, personally, think it is possible to have too many for the good of the hobby.

I hope that this doesn't come across as me being against having and making trade names, for I am not. Just that I hope we look at all avenues and try to come up with a solution that is for the betterment of our hobby before we go on.

Well, that was my one cent thought.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:17 AM   #10
gardenmum
Quote:
Which one of these snakes is a "snow blood?"
But Serp, there is another side to this argument. If you were to ask a person who has no concept of football what a "first down" is, he/she may just tell you it is the first person to get knocked down. That does not mean the name is not appropriate or proper for the game. Anyone who is asked should have basic knowledge of the topic in hand. Every form of activity known to man has its own language and if you want to be involved in that activity you need to learn the basics of it.

If you know what a "snow" corn is and if you know what a "blood (diffused)" corn is than you will know that A & C are out of the picture. Are you saying that someone would know if asked "which one of these is an "avalanche?" Now, they may guess B simply because it is all white, but that does NOT tell them what that corn is. They still have to learn that it is a "snow blood" and back even up another step and learn what a snow is and a blood is and back up more to an anery and an amel.

So, let them learn the basics and the terms like "snow blood" will not be a road block but a builder of a picture.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google