• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Repti Bark seems damp

Colleen

:confused: Just got our guy all settled in and I'm noticing thatthe Repti Bark seems moist and there is condensation inside the terr. under it. Only on the heat pad side and alot under the hide on that side. We didn't add any water (accept in bowl)and all was dry. Is this dampeness ok? I know that humidity should be 40% but this feels wetter then that, under the hide. Is this a problem with ReptiBark? Or is Aspen that I've read about on here better?

:) Thanks for your help,
Colleen

Last edited:
I also use repti-bark, and mine condesated in the bag! i think you can still use it! and that the humidity in your tank wil decrease when you put a little fan in front of it!

If you live in the U.S. than you'd better get aspen shaving! for all I've heard it is a lot cheaper! and easyer to cleen up after!

I will change to beech chips becouse it is also a lot cheaper! like 7.95 euro for 4.4liter to 1.50 euro gor the same in beech chips!

Repti-bark and similar fir bark products are manufactured for use with humidity loving herps. Here is what it says on the http://www.petwarehouse.com listing for it:

Repti-Bark is created from the ground bark of fir trees and makes a perfect floor covering for all high-humidity loving reptiles, since it helps simulate their natural habitats. Aids in shedding and respiratory functions.

It could probably be baked in the oven at about 150 - 200 degrees for about 5 minutes or so to dry it out prior to putting it in your snake's home. Be sure to let it cool down first though.

Peter

give them a sun-tan

After I wash my repti-bark I lay it out on an old sheet in the sun for a couple of hours so that it dries out. You could probably bake it too in the oven at 250 for a half an hour or until dry. Bacteria and other micro-organisms thrive in warm standing water, so be sure that your tank isn't too wet, your corns could get sick.

The repti-bark is good if you need to keep the humidity high. I use it for my pythons but I use aspen for my corns. It will dry out over time. The nice thing about aspen is that corns like to burrow and hide in it and that is a little harder for them to do in the repti-bark. If you want to use the repti-bark just make sure the cage is well ventilated and it will dry out. Enjoy your new addition to the family.

:) Alicia

Thanks Soooo Much

Thank you to all that replied!! We spread it out on a sheet on the floor with a fan and went to a picnic. All dried out !!
Now "Lighting Jack" is borrowing and very happy. I'm so glad to have experienced people to turn too.

:D THANK YOU
Colleen

Back