CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Nanci's SnickerSnakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Nanci's SnickerSnakes Welcome to SnickerSnakes- where the pretty snakes are! I love striped cornsnakes in red, white, purple, peach and pink. Foundation stock, breeding plans, and hopefully hatchling news!

Egg Stem: What To Do (Update Post-Shed)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Nanci
Egg Stem: What To Do (Update Post-Shed)

The first time I was presented with this issue in a hatchling, it was very disturbing. After consulting with several experienced breeders I concluded that left alone, the egg stem would shrivel and fall off with the first shed, if not before. And that was true. Some people advise keeping it very damp, others advise a dry environment to encourage the cord to dry out. I have settled on slightly damp but not wet.

Last season I had more hatchlings and more egg stems. All resolved quickly without issue except one big one. I'll show pics of that at the end. In treating it, though, I was advised to snip it off. This made me nervous- I didn't want to have it start bleeding, so I let it dry a bit first.

Out of 34 hatchlings so far this year, I have been fortunate to have only one with an egg stem.