CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Experiment involving Florida king eggs

Old 08-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Khaman
Experiment involving Florida king eggs

Dr Burger collected eggs from a black racer in a pine snake nest as well as eggs from a wild caught king from Burlington County New Jersey. I used eggs from captive bred Florida Kings.

I won’t bore you with the specifics but 11 eggs were laid on June 1st and were split into three groups. Three eggs were incubated at 25C (77F) (Group A), four at 32C (89.6F) (Group B), and four at 28C (82.4F) (Group C).

Group A at 66 days has yet to hatch but all three still look good. Group B all hatched in 53 days. Group C took 38-40 days to hatch.

Group C had an average hatch weight of 16g; Group B had an average hatch weight of 5g. This is inconsistent with Dr. Burger’s findings that the slower the development is and longer the hatchling is able to stay in the egg the more robust it will be. Her results showed no major differences to weight.

Group C had an average hatch length of 32.02 cm. Group B had an average hatch length of 24.37 cm. This is consistent with Dr. Burger’s findings that the eggs incubated at higher temps tend to be shorter than those incubated at lower temps.

Dr. Burger also noted that motor skills and feeding response was greatly decreased in the snakes that were incubated at the higher temps. The same behavior was also noted Group B, two of the snakes refuse to strike at any stimuli one will strike only after repeated and prolonged stimuli (Tease feeding). Group C will aggressively rear in a threat response with little to no provocation and repeatedly strike.

Dr. Burger does not mention feeding responses or records of her animals but to date Group B has eaten an average of 7 meals with one still requiring live which is more difficult for me to acquire than F/T. Group C has refused F/T and live meals repeatedly.

Snake on the left is from Group C on the right Group B

Group B

Group C

Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
vetusvates
Fascinating.

Do you have a link to "Dr. Burger's" work?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Khaman
There is this http://www.jstor.org/pss/1564223 but it is not the complete article I had to track down to buy the Journal to get the whole thing.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
vetusvates
Thanks, Khaman. I like your study, it's like something I would do or would have done many years ago,...but never did.

Her "length of time in egg" thing has got me scratching my head. It would SEEM like long time in egg would result in more energy/calories/nutrients consumed. It would also seem like the highest temp would result in faster biology in the egg and more energy/calories consumed.
I suppose for a given species, there is an optimum temp (and an optimum latitude to which a given species is adapted) for a given species, to result in smartest and healthiest snakes.
I wonder if eagerness to eat, related to remaining internal yolk, is measurable...

Old 08-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetusvates View Post
I wonder if eagerness to eat, related to remaining internal yolk, is measurable...
I would love to design and experiment for that but have no idea how.

I expect that if and when Group A hatches it will either be as large as Group C due to time in egg or as small as Group B due to lack of heat to properly incubate. Only time will tell.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaman View Post
I would love to design and experiment for that but have no idea how.

I expect that if and when Group A hatches it will either be as large as Group C due to time in egg or as small as Group B due to lack of heat to properly incubate. Only time will tell.
Yep. I got lost in thought and forgot to mention being anxious for Group A.

Will be awaiting more news and observations.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
The_Thunderer
I look forward to hearing what the results are for Group A as well. Very interesting!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google