• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This year or wait?

And i agree with jodu, that's a hard way to euthanize the hatchling. I have no idea if I could have done it.

I had to do it as quickly as I could. I grew up in the country, I've killed chickens and rabbits before with cervical dislocation, I've seen a pig slaughtered that i'd helped raise. I couldn't let the hatchling suffer any more than the mice I raise as feeders. I really do believe that being squeamish about it and letting it carry on pulling more gut out or putting it in the freezer would have been too cruel to conemplate.

diamondlil said:
I really do believe that being squeamish about it and letting it carry on pulling more gut out or putting it in the freezer would have been too cruel to conemplate.
I agree. I've found baby birds that have fallen out of nests and are stranded on hot pavement, and ones that have been brought in by cats, and the way I've chosen to kill them is to jump on them (I usually wear big motorcycle boots). One jump. It's graphic, it's gross, and it's uncomfortable for me; but it's instantaneous, and therefore, it's not uncomfortable for them. I know that they never knew anything was coming, and they never knew what hit them.

A good and bad day today. #1, Belle Starr, may need a re-name, because I tried popping again. Out came 2 white tubes, so now I'm not sure if they were hemi-winkies or glands.
#3 cheeered me up though, with a perfect shed and a disappearing live pinky trick

Attachments

• 19a.JPG
    19a.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 68
Oh god! I really typed that instead of just thinking it! (Am on my 5th nightshift in a row tonight, Elle, I think I need more coffee :grin01: )

Rechecked, and Belle is definitely mis-named. He is off to the shop I get my adult mousicles from, in trade for a big bag off feeders.The other hatchling still not popping male )yet). It bites, musks and poops every time I try popping It.
Both are now on double pinks, so off to a riproaring start in life

Sounds like they're doing great! Maybe less musking and biting and all that, but hey, they're healthy.

Turner, they are ridiculously healthy! I'm going to miss 'Belle',but if the other hatchling is female I'll keep it instead.

OK 190 posts later and I've read the whole thread! Wow! Took a while, but well worth it. Congrats on the 2 youngsters. Glad to hear they are doing well. Best wishes on finding that one is a little girl!

Amazing Thread! Would highly recommend it to any future/new breeders!

Thanks! It was my fault that Pearl has such an ordeal, and I'm lucky she didn't end up paying a higher price for my mistakes. She's in excellent condition now and should be breeding this season if she continues in this way

Back