• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Retirement........

Wow Wow Wow!

Well I think I might be the only one who was shocked by this posting but then again I'm not very good at picking up on hints!

First of Congrats to both you and Connie on retiring!
Second I am sad that you won't be breeding anymore but I wish you the best of luck!
Third... make sure you save some snakes for me at Daytona since this will be my last chance to get a Serpenco snake (from you at any rate. Even if someone buys the whole thing it won't be the same!)!!!! I'm going to run over and check your website now!

Wow Rich! I'd like to write something poetic and prophetic here, but I just don't think I could do justice!

Congrats of your decision of course and I hope you get to enjoy your "Me and Connie" time. It has been well earned. I'm really not sure if there is a more physically and mentally taxing job that breeding on such a large scale. God knows how you kept up on the computer work and your other escapades as well!

You were a very important factor in shaping my current life as I know it today. I'm sure this is the case for COUNTLESS others! Pretty much my pivotal first investment was a number of hatchlings from your "out of egg sale".

There were many Canadians very happy to have the wide assortment of morphs which you had bred! I kept a few myself of course, but that began the cycle of investing every penny made off the sale of those first snakes and purchasing bigger and better!

I am now at the point of considering leaving the old "day job" behind to see if I can make a
go of making my own means!

Things have never really been "easy" and I am endlessly appreciative of some of the advice you gave me through phone conversations, including being true to myself and not letting others try to push or bully... You are truly one of the greats of this "hobby" :)

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you won't be breeding anymore yet pleased to hear you and Connie are going to be talking better care of yourselves from now on! I'm trying my hardest to make it out to Daytona this year and it would be a true honor to get my picture taken with someone as influential as yourself!!

CONGRATS!!!

Rebecca

wait a minute, I thought we were helping with your retirement fund, not paying off speeding tickets...:laugh:

wait a minute, I thought we were helping with your retirement fund, not paying off speeding tickets...:laugh:

Well, my ultimate game plan is that if in later years I find that we can't make it in retirement, to break some law to get us thrown in jail so the government can take care of us for free. :laugh:

:idea:
Certainly there MUST be a speed high enough that when arrested for it, it's an automatic jail sentence....

I can tell you that 98 in a 55 will get you taken straight to jail, but no long term sentence.

dc

110 in a 35 didn't even do it for me...
Heck, I would have kept my license, but I wasn't out of probation at the time......

In Hawaii it's a felony to go over 80. Transporting snakes is a serious offense there as well, I believe. Surely if you snuck a snake or two along on a high speed Hawaiian joy ride you could achieve some major jail time.

In Hawaii it's a felony to go over 80. Transporting snakes is a serious offense there as well, I believe. Surely if you snuck a snake or two along on a high speed Hawaiian joy ride you could achieve some major jail time.

Well, I guess if I started in Kansas and accelerated all the way to California, I just MIGHT be able to make that jump to Hawaii if I'm going fast enough and built up enough inertia... :laugh: Hope my aim is good, though... :eek1:

Rich, I noticed the hints here and there for the last few months so this came as no surprise, but it still saddens me deeply.

I have some wonderful Serpenco snakes sitting in this very room. The fact YOUR snakes have reached Scotland and so much further speaks volumes of the credibility of your company and your name.

I would love to contribute to your retirement fund, but without ordering hundreds of snakes, it just wouldn't be worth the cost for me to import.

Best of luck with whatever you do Rich.

Last edited:
it's not the end

I may set up a map of the USA on a board and just throw a dart at it every month. Whever that dart hits, that's where we will take a drive to........ :D I just hope it doesn't land in the middle of Lake Michigan... :laugh:

That would bring you right to me :D. We'll grab the boat and get ya out!

Well, my ultimate game plan is that if in later years I find that we can't make it in retirement, to break some law to get us thrown in jail so the government can take care of us for free. :laugh:

:idea:
Certainly there MUST be a speed high enough that when arrested for it, it's an automatic jail sentence....

The government retirement plan is a good one but I hear the food sucks... :rofl:
Besides, they might not let you and Connie share a cell :(

Jail in paradise? hmmmmm....... now that'll make ya think!

But seriously Rich and Connie, thanks for your contributions to my addiction.
I've wanted to have your bloodlines in my home for quite a while... though the economy isn't what we'd all like, perhaps I can find it in my budget to aid in your retirement fund.

May the sun not be in your eyes and the wind at your back!

Good luck with your future plans...btw..how do I get on Connie's mailing list! I like good FOOD!!

Good luck with your future plans...btw..how do I get on Connie's mailing list! I like good FOOD!!

Thank you....

You know you are golden when Connie offers to send you cookies. People will actually FIGHT over them.......... Her snickerdoodles are TOPS... :cheers: (hmm, that actually sounds DIRTY when I read it....)

Rich, I noticed the hints here and there for the last few months so this came as no surprise, but it still saddens me deeply.

I have some wonderful Serpenco snakes sitting in this very room. The fact YOUR snakes have reached Scotland and so much further speaks volumes of the credibility of your company and your name.

I would love to contribute to your retirement fund, but without ordering hundreds of snakes, it just wouldn't be worth the cost for me to import.

Best of luck with whatever you do Rich.

Thank you....

Actually ordering hundreds of snakes would be just GREAT! :) If I want to have all the animals gone by the end of the year, I have to average 250 snakes per WEEK to make that happen (counting the 5,000 babies due to hatch). :eek1: Well I fell far short THIS week, so you all have to help me out the next several weeks. :rofl:

I've had a few people inquiring about buying SerpenCo, but I'm not confident that is going to take place. Would sure be nice and could put us onto this road to retirement sooner, but I don't get those kinds of breaks. I'm thinking we're going to be going to the airport a LOT in the Fall and Winter months with large boxes of adults going out. :awcrap:

Last edited:
Aw, I was really hoping for the sake of the hobby that someone would be able to ante up. Yeah, I'm personally tickled to have an opportunity to add some Serpenco blood to my projects at these great prices, but dang!

I'm going to talk to my accountant this week about some things, and one of them is about the tax pitfalls of selling my business. There is a checkbox on the form in the TurboTax program asking about whether I have completely sold the business in that taxing year that makes me nervous. So I want to see what sort of tax liability I may incur selling off the business completely. It may wind up being better for me to just piecemeal out everything and retain the name for taxing purposes for several more years.

But either way it goes, we'll just have to deal with it. In the end the result will be the same.

Rich, my understanding is that if you sell babies that would be considered ordinary income. When you sell your adult breeders however, that is considered capital gains and you don’t have to pay any FICA on that money, just income tax. If you have depreciated out all your equipment you don’t have to claim the income from the sell of the equipment unless you sell it for more than you paid for it.

Back