CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

New motor for my vette...

Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
My tuner and the engine builder thing the motor will be putting out between 550 and 600 rear wheel horsepower. Of course, when the twin turbos kick in, they are conservatively estimating about 50 percent more on top of that.

I actually don't care a whole lot about the final horsepower rating. I just wanted a 427 engine in my vette, and chose the Warhawk because it's supposed to be one of the most robust blocks out there. Evidently they are able to get very good results with minimal efforts, so I'm getting everything replaced with beefier components. As I told my tuner/installer, I don't want to have broken parts scattered all over the road behind me if I should decide to get a bit frisky with the right foot.

I just need to be REAL careful that I don't wind up killing myself......
Brakes Rich, don't forget the brakes....
With that engine the final BHP is inconsequential, the amount of torque it will produce will be the wow factor....
Happy motoring and get a vid up, incar/engine revving/smoking wheels....
You know, the boyracer stuff, for some of the petrol heads on here....

Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #12
mynamesrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
With that engine the final BHP is inconsequential, the amount of torque it will produce will be the wow factor....
My little VW GTI puts down 260tq, (its not stock) and i think thats fun.. but OH man i cant imagine what that much torque would feel like..

Quote:
Totally agree with that!

Rich, are you planning on putting this beast on the dyno? doesn't sound like you care much about the numbers.. but i know i'd be super curious about what it really puts down numbers wise.. Hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
I will think about better brakes when my current ones wear out. I just don't see the need for them at the moment, as I have no intention of tracking my car, where such a concern would obviously come up.

One good thing about turbochargers is that they are definitely torque sensitive and torque multipliers. Dynos don't usually give an accurate display of the actual available power, as it is difficult to give the turbos the loading that is there in actual driving conditions that makes them sing their loudest.

As for purposely smoking tires, nah, not unless I'm planning on getting new tires the next day and the old ones don't matter any longer. Of course, from what I've been told, it will be possible to break traction even at better than 80 miles per hour. But this sounds like a real good way to wind up spinning off of the highway at 120 mph.......

Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
tsst
Rich, What changes will you have to make to the trans, driveshaft and rearend to hold up to that motor?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamesrick View Post
Rich, are you planning on putting this beast on the dyno? doesn't sound like you care much about the numbers.. but i know i'd be super curious about what it really puts down numbers wise.. Hope everything goes smoothly for you!
Yes, as this will be part of the tuning process itself, and is a real good way to tell if you have everything tuned to optimum settings. I told him that peak horsepower isn't as important to me as acceleration and throttle response. More "seat of the pants" kind of thing more than bragging rights numbers. So I would much rather sacrifice a higher peak number to gain better low to mid range power, where you tend to be most of the time driving on the street. In some respects I think I would probably have liked a supercharger more so than the turbo chargers, but there were too many drawbacks with the superchargers that were available then. I got rear mounted turbos to help with weight distribution and to keep all that heat turbos generate out of the engine compartment. Plus there is no belt to throw with the turbos, and they just seem to be a sensible choice, as they use waste exhaust gases to operate instead of inflicting parasitic losses on the motor to make them work. Like anything else, there were compromises that needed to be picked from based on personal tastes.

Right now my vette puts down 529 rwhp and 514 rwtq, that you would think would be plenty for me. And actually it is. Quite frankly, the additional power is just icing to the cake for me. The new engine just happens to provide a lot more power, and it also allows me to remove the 6.5 psi restriction now in place on the max boost going to the engine. With all forged components and 6 bolts per cylinder for the heads, I can open this up as high as the turbos are able to go.

Of course, my tuner has already told me that he is going to set the rev limiter to 3500 rpm during the break-in procedure....

Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #16
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsst View Post
Rich, What changes will you have to make to the trans, driveshaft and rearend to hold up to that motor?
Well, everything.

New beefed up transmission, dual plate clutch, carbon fiber drive shaft, and new beefier differential. I told the tuner/builder to figure out what the weak link would be and make it NOT weak. Most of the driveline components are rated at least for 1200 foot pounds of torque, so I've got a comfortable margin of safety. Both engine and transmission will have braces to keep them from flexing under heavy load, which can break things.

I guess when I get tired of this, or else something physically deteriorates on me to where I will no longer be able to drive a stick shift, this car would be a racer's dream come true when I have to sell it. Of course I guess I could always have it changed over to an automatic if I can afford to when that time comes. I'm actually quite surprised that these days that built automatic transmissions are considered to be much stronger than built standard transmissions. Used to be the exact opposite many years ago. But quite honestly, driving an automatic ANYTHING is just boring to me. Especially a sports car.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #17
mike17l
Rich, at any time in the future, will we see a .50 cal mount on the top of this thing. Because, that is the only way I can think of that would make this vette even better. It may not help the aerodynamics, but it sure would be sweet.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
Rich, at any time in the future, will we see a .50 cal mount on the top of this thing. Because, that is the only way I can think of that would make this vette even better. It may not help the aerodynamics, but it sure would be sweet.
Hmm, well if so, I guess I should mount it to fire backwards to help with the cops in hot pursuit after me..........

Old 10-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #19
snakewispera snr
I like your thinking on the set up, Rich.
Massive numbers are just that...
You can't actually show someone 200mph, often.... LOL
But 40-100mph in 3-4 secs... Now you could get away with that a couple of times a day.... LOL

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
tstephe3
Quote:
My tuner and the engine builder thing the motor will be putting out between 550 and 600 rear wheel horsepower. Of course, when the twin turbos kick in, they are conservatively estimating about 50 percent more on top of that.

I actually don't care a whole lot about the final horsepower rating. I just wanted a 427 engine in my vette, and chose the Warhawk because it's supposed to be one of the most robust blocks out there. Evidently they are able to get very good results with minimal efforts, so I'm getting everything replaced with beefier components. As I told my tuner/installer, I don't want to have broken parts scattered all over the road behind me if I should decide to get a bit frisky with the right foot.

I just need to be REAL careful that I don't wind up killing myself......
Quote:
Quote:
I will think about better brakes when my current ones wear out. I just don't see the need for them at the moment, as I have no intention of tracking my car, where such a concern would obviously come up.

One good thing about turbochargers is that they are definitely torque sensitive and torque multipliers. Dynos don't usually give an accurate display of the actual available power, as it is difficult to give the turbos the loading that is there in actual driving conditions that makes them sing their loudest.

As for purposely smoking tires, nah, not unless I'm planning on getting new tires the next day and the old ones don't matter any longer. Of course, from what I've been told, it will be possible to break traction even at better than 80 miles per hour. But this sounds like a real good way to wind up spinning off of the highway at 120 mph.......
OMG.. I wish I could of came to Florida and worked for you Rich. Lol, you have snakes and a vette.. twin Turboed on top of that.

NOt sure if you know, but I'm pretty big into cars. I just can't affor things I want. Lol, I bought a 94 z28 Camaro as my hot rod, don't have much done to it but it's awesome to drive around. Just the basics, cool air intake and headers and exhaust. Unfortunately up here I can only drive it in the summer.

But, that is awesome your putting a new motor in it. Lol, 600 rwhp ish.. Depending on the final numbers would be awesome. Sounds like a huge upgrade and can't wait to hear the final numbers and results.

Oh, I also race cars around a circle track. I know they aren't meant as daily drivers, but there are small block 410 ci motors that I know about putting out 850ish hp naturally aspirated. I drove one once, it was awesome! The car that I'm driving now has a 454 big block bored to 468, and its naturally aspirated as well and putting 850 hp and its direct drive. So there is no transmission to lose power with. Just thought I'd throw in that tid bit.. Lol, I would just love to have a street legal car to push 600ish rwhp with. That would definitely be a goal of mine with the Camaro later down the road.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google