CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

New motor for my vette...

Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #51
army_greywolf
Man...for all that mess I could have built you a drop in engine with the same HP figures and sent it R&L carriers...buttoned up ready for the cradles. Personally, for simplicity in parts wrangling, go with a stock block, darton sleeved motor, with cnc ported heads, big valves, decently long duration cam, and base it all around a crate engine depot ls7. Ive heard many good things from RHS, so it's a matter of opinion.

If you ever want/need or would like to ask me questions or pick my brain I am in the business of this sort of thing. A TB swap doesn't make much sense to me as an idle cure...nor does massively bad AFRs at idle. Have them pull timing, get the idle dialed in, then build the tune from a good rhythmic idle, because if they start building MAF tables with a choppy idle it WILL skew the tables and cause LTFT trims to go all over the place...particularly with turbo setups. And be sure they do monitor EGTs while tuning and put in a MAF safeguard for you so you don't cook your engine or crack exhaust valve seats/melt a piston or destroy a ring land.

But thumbs up so far, looks like itll be a beast. I went the route of an indiscretion with a LNF powered 2.0 directed injected turbocharged cobalt ss. It's built up to my liking, I have a couple grand in it easily, but saved ALOT doing my own work.

Let me know if your not happy with your final tune or if it's just "off" If you have access to HP Tuners I can probably help you out with a bit of logging and emailing fixes.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #52
Rich Z
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind.

Yes, I knew the LS7 was an option, but since GM obviously didn't want to use that block for their LS9 engine, I felt it prudent to follow suit since I am using forced induction.

As for the out of whack AFR at startup, bear in mind that this was a initial tune just to GET a startup. Nothing more. The real tune won't take place until the oil leak is fixed and we can get some runtime on the engine.

As for the throttle body, it was DEFINITELY the culprit as you could see that the blade was open WAY too much at the idle position. So of course the engine was going to rev up like it did since the blade was allowing far too much air to enter into the engine. That TB has been sent back to the guy who made it so he can fix it. Probably just some sort of misalignment needing to be done to restrict the airflow at the idle position.

And yes, I do have HP Tuners as well as EFIlive, so thanks for the offer. The guy does seem to be pretty good at tuning, so hopefully he will have a handle on it.

Rich Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_greywolf View Post
Man...for all that mess I could have built you a drop in engine with the same HP figures and sent it R&L carriers...buttoned up ready for the cradles. Personally, for simplicity in parts wrangling, go with a stock block, darton sleeved motor, with cnc ported heads, big valves, decently long duration cam, and base it all around a crate engine depot ls7. Ive heard many good things from RHS, so it's a matter of opinion.

If you ever want/need or would like to ask me questions or pick my brain I am in the business of this sort of thing. A TB swap doesn't make much sense to me as an idle cure...nor does massively bad AFRs at idle. Have them pull timing, get the idle dialed in, then build the tune from a good rhythmic idle, because if they start building MAF tables with a choppy idle it WILL skew the tables and cause LTFT trims to go all over the place...particularly with turbo setups. And be sure they do monitor EGTs while tuning and put in a MAF safeguard for you so you don't cook your engine or crack exhaust valve seats/melt a piston or destroy a ring land.

But thumbs up so far, looks like itll be a beast. I went the route of an indiscretion with a LNF powered 2.0 directed injected turbocharged cobalt ss. It's built up to my liking, I have a couple grand in it easily, but saved ALOT doing my own work.

Let me know if your not happy with your final tune or if it's just "off" If you have access to HP Tuners I can probably help you out with a bit of logging and emailing fixes.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #53
army_greywolf
Either way, I'm a turbo fan, and a fan of big cubes AND turbos...so you have a winning combination as far as I'm concerned, did you pick out a FI cam or just something with more lobe separation?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #54
Rich Z
Quote:
Either way, I'm a turbo fan, and a fan of big cubes AND turbos...so you have a winning combination as far as I'm concerned, did you pick out a FI cam or just something with more lobe separation?
The guy doing the work picked the specs for the cam and said he chose one that would be optimum for forced induction. I know I have the specs written down somewhere around here. Honestly, I'm actually concerned that all the air coming out of that engine and consequently the amount of air needed coming in the intake might actually make those turbos struggle to reach boost at the top end. The trade off is that boost might be kicking in a lot sooner than the 3,000 or so RPM they were spooling up on with that 346 C.I.D. LS6, though. It actually might feel more like a supercharger than a turbocharged system.

Should be interesting to see what sort of numbers it kicks out when put on the dyno and run full tilt.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #55
army_greywolf
My little Cobalt hammers out 337HP at the wheels from that little 2.0 "right now" with my personal tune and some under the hood go fast goodies. Nothing major and it's a ten minute process to go from street tune to track tune, which has never been dyno'd but I suspect is around 360 to the wheels.

Future plan is to compound the turbo feeding a M62 Supercharger as well as wiseco pistons, shot peened rods, shot peened crank cradle, clevite bearings, and a good o ring head job if I can find someone reputable to do it, I might send it out to a diesel performance shop I know of in Dallas. I also plan to up trim to a gt3071R.

I already have a good down pipe, cat back exhaust, charge piping, intercooler, snow performance meth kit (variable flow rate) and other things like poly trans mounts/poly control arm bushings and on and on, including a clutchmasters kevlar full disc clutch that was VERY recently done. I expect to make 500-525 streetable horsepower, tunable to around 600 in short bursts. LNF series ecotec is an amazing engine, one of the ONLY engines on earth that can boast 30mpg and 260hp/260tq from the factory. If only the CAR was made better...oh well, can't have everything.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #56
Rich Z
Quote:
LNF series ecotec is an amazing engine, one of the ONLY engines on earth that can boast 30mpg and 260hp/260tq from the factory. If only the CAR was made better...oh well, can't have everything.
You do know that the modern Corvettes easily make 30 mpg on the highway, don't you? I was shocked to hear that years ago... But darn if it isn't true..

Old 08-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #57
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
You do know that the modern Corvettes easily make 30 mpg on the highway, don't you? I was shocked to hear that years ago... But darn if it isn't true..
Even the ZR1s and Z06s the top factory lines get over 30MPG off the line they could do that 5 years ago.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #58
army_greywolf
"Forced Induction Engines"

Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #59
army_greywolf
I meant FI motors whom are notorious for shaving off MPG no matter how you drive them. And I also mean factory engines. LS motors get away withit because of head design, torque at low RPMs and sheeer size vs car weight and drag coefficient.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #60
Rich Z
Actually I have heard in some instances that turbocharging can actually INCREASE gas mileage at standard cruising speeds. Of course, with any car, if you put the pedal to the metal, you can just throw gas mileage right out the window.

The ZR1 is not really as fuel efficient as the Z06 and you have to pay a gas guzzler tax on that particular model as a result. Superchargers tend to have a parasitic effect on an engine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google