CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Corn Snakes For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snakes For Sale Got too many? Had a change of interest? Babies hatched out and you want to make some money so you can buy others? This is the place to try to sell them. ALL members may post ads here.

Available snakes

Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
josie
I agree. Unless it is stipulated in your lease about "caged" animals then they really do not have a legal right to ask you to do this. Most caged animals are not included in the "animal" restrictions. They typically list fish tanks to limit the risk of water damage but most do not list caged animals at all. If you signed a lease with nothing mentioned about caged animals then even if you added to your collection then there is nothing they can do because you haven't broken your lease. Even if the wife is freaked out about snakes she can't legally ask you to get rid of them if not stated in the lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Do you have a lease? If so, and if it doesn't mentioned caged animals, they might not have a legal basis for requiring you to get rid of some of your snakes. Most leases have restrictions on dogs and cats, but caged animals are different.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
MysticExotics
I do have a lease, & my dogs, cats (which I no longer have) & ferrets are on the lease. I didn't have the snakes when I first moved into this house.
My lease is up April 1st, & I imagine that he will put in something specific about the snakes this time around. We shall see. He knows I'm willing to compromise & the fact that I am one of his best renters (pays before rent is due, keep my house clean, etc) I have some leeway. I know he doesn't want to lose me, & while I haven't said I would look for another place, I know it's a card I hold, & I may not have to use it, but it's good to have that leverage.
The last tenant in this house was so digusting that it took them a week to clean the kitchen alone.

It would be awesome if I could end up buying this place in a couple years. I love this house!

Anyways, I am trying to place the available snakes locally, but I will be working on getting my FedEx certification (I don't know how soon, my schedule is kinda tough) but it will happen at some point.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
MysticExotics
I have added a few to the available section, & updated the ones on hold. I also have noted those that are interested, pending my FedEx certification & backups, on some of the snakes on hold.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
Jessicat
Wow, that's a complete bummer! I wish I had some space to take your babies in, but I'm about to fill up my second rack. Never the less, I'll take a look at what you need to move out.

Best wishes, hope you can get the situation figured out!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
ZoologyGirl
I can understand the mice, since they tend to stink like mad (which is why I move I'll also be ceasing breeding until I get a house with some sort of outbuilding)...but what is the wife's reason for wanting you to get rid of the snakes? If I rented to someone I'd even prefer they had reptiles over hairy dogs and cats. It's not like they smell much, don't make noise, don't leave hair all over, don't chew on the walls or scratch floors, etc... I'm sorry you're having to get rid of some, what a bummer.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
MysticExotics
Thanks Heather & Jessica!
The wife hates (is afraid of) snakes.
I have to find my contract, but the lease will be up the first of April anyways, & I will see what they present. I know they do not want to lose me as a tenant, they have told me repeatedly how happy they are that they found me, & now that they have seen how clean I have kept the house, & I have made some small improvements (out of my money), I pay rent ahead of the due date, & a major factor is I don't have kids (the house has 4 leagal bedrooms, with a 5th that has a closet & everything, but the window is too small to be considered a bedroom, I was the only one that applied that didn't have kids, & they do not want tenants with kids in this house, because they run their business on the same property & don't want kids running around).

I told him today what I have my "keeper" number down to & his comment was that "one is too many for Victoria" & I told him I am rehoming almost half of my collection.
I am at a point where I will stand my ground on where I am currently at.
I have some leverage, & I will use it if I need to, but we'll see.
I think he is being passive aggressive, making comments, trying to see how far he can get me to go, on rehoming snakes. He has not given me any set #'s or made any specific requests, other than wanting to appease his wife & I, as much as possible.
I am frustrated with him, but I also want to show him that I too, can compromise.

I am very glad that I have some local friends that will be getting some of my snakes, I'm glad to know they will be going to good homes.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
ghosthousecorns
Heather, I seriously would threaten moving if I were you. If you've been a good tenant and been paying your rent on time and everything, you are a cash source to them that he probably wouldn't want to lose. I would try it and if he called your bluff and told you OK go ahead and move then take steps to rehome the snakes. I don't know what I would do in your shoes. I don't think at this point I could take that and go ahead and get rid of the snakes because the hobby has become such a big part of who I am.
Well anyway I am getting a tax return soon and while not as big as I hoped if you still have that MBK girl... Also would be happy to house some smaller snakes for a while if you decide you want to look for another place. It would probably be a hassle since I am not in WA though.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Heather, I seriously would threaten moving if I were you. If you've been a good tenant and been paying your rent on time and everything, you are a cash source to them that he probably wouldn't want to lose. I would try it and if he called your bluff and told you OK go ahead and move then take steps to rehome the snakes. I don't know what I would do in your shoes. I don't think at this point I could take that and go ahead and get rid of the snakes because the hobby has become such a big part of who I am.
Well anyway I am getting a tax return soon and while not as big as I hoped if you still have that MBK girl... Also would be happy to house some smaller snakes for a while if you decide you want to look for another place. It would probably be a hassle since I am not in WA though.
Thank you Jen, I do appreciate it!
Tara is taking the MBK, but if for some reason that doesn't work out, I have you next on the list for her. I am so glad that so far they are going to people I know.

I refuse to rehome all of them & he did state he would not ask me to do so, because he knows they are part of my life.
I am at the bare minimum that I would be willing to let go, & & am letting go of some I never expected to, but so far, they are going to friends, & I know they will be in good hands.

I am so pleased to see how wonderful this community is, & so glad I found this forum, I have gained many wonderful friends.
Jen, are you going to be at the Emerald City Expo on March 5th?

I had planned for two baby Carpets this spring, one is one hold until it's warm enough, & the other is a planned breeding. I told him I would not add any more, but after the fact that I have shown I am willing to compromise, & he's hinting (passive aggressive) that his wife would rather I not have any, I will be standing my ground on the latest #'s I told him for keepers, & I have included the one on hold in those #'s & will be getting her after all. I told my other friend with the planned breeding that I will be holding off for now on getting one of those babies.

I will be looking at available rentals, & if it comes down to it, I will tell him I'll move before rehoming any more of my current keepers.

Hopefully he'll back off, & tell his wife to keep her comments to herself (she's not even on the titles to the houses, all of the rentals are in his name).

Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
slitheringdead
I think that reducing your collection was a fair compromise to demonstrate that you respect your landlord's preferences. I do not think that you should *further* reduce your collection because it would not help the underlying issue, which is the landlord's wife phobia of snakes. Like the landlord said, 1 snake is already too many for her. You've already put forward your good gesture and you're an excellent tenant in terms of paying rent and taking care of the house. They should realize that you are a reasonable person and an excellent tenant to keep. I suspect that now they're just trying to see how far they can push you.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitheringdead View Post
I think that reducing your collection was a fair compromise to demonstrate that you respect your landlord's preferences. I do not think that you should *further* reduce your collection because it would not help the underlying issue, which is the landlord's wife phobia of snakes. Like the landlord said, 1 snake is already too many for her. You've already put forward your good gesture and you're an excellent tenant in terms of paying rent and taking care of the house. They should realize that you are a reasonable person and an excellent tenant to keep. I suspect that now they're just trying to see how far they can push you.
I think you are exactly right, that is what I am thinking right now.
I've pointed out there's no way the snakes could cause any damage, there should be no cause for concern in me having them in the house.
I have taken steps to immediately reduce my #'s & it's time for me to stand my ground & not let them push me any further.
The wife may not like it, but I doubt they would be willing to risk losing me as a tenant.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google