CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Hides using Foam/Greatstuff

Old 11-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
schnebbles
Hides using Foam/Greatstuff

I saw a really cool hide on the show off your viv thread - I've pm'd the user but not sure they will answer right away and I need to get busy making more hides.

Has anyone used this to make a hide?

If so, please explain how it works. I wonder if he/she just sprayed a huge hunk of it, then carved it out? I've never worked with that stuff so I'm clueless.

She said then she (well I think she) made a mixture of titebond wood glue II, water and sand/eco earth. Paint a couple coats on it and it's done I think.

Anyhow if anyone has tips please let me know. I have an adult snake arriving Tuesday and right no I only have 1 hide for him. That would be ok temporary, I know the hides need to sit out, I'd like to get started on them today if possible.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Tzuki
well first, it's best not to touch it with your own hands.

One idea is to take a rock, a tennis ball, sumthing round, and spray on it. when you take the rock out, you'll be left with a hide.
now paint it, and you are good to go. just make sure it dries good as the fumes could be dangerous (not really sure, but better safe than sorry).

Old 11-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Tzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzuki View Post

One idea is to take a rock, a tennis ball, sumthing round, and spray on it. when you take the rock out, you'll be left with a hide.
now paint it, and you are good to go. just make sure it dries good as the fumes could be dangerous (not really sure, but better safe than sorry).
well I guess something bigger than a tennis ball, since you're getting an adult.... a plastic container maybe?

also, if you wanna make it elaborate, try molding it part by part, so each time you'll have something ready. also, it is very easy to cut once dried.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
schnebbles
ok, so say I have a nice hide now and want to mold one like it, if I spray it on my current hide, it'll come right off and not ruin my hide?

If I'd ever used that stuff I'd have a little better Idea what I was doing!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Tzuki
well, mmm, it probably will leave a residue. so don't.

you could cover it with something, like a nylon bag, or wrapping paper.
another thing I thought of is this product (any brand, of course. it was just the first on google):
http://www.krylon.com/products/make_...xtured_paints/

please also note this foam expands, and if you cover your current hide with this, it will not mold to an exact replica. try it on something else first, just to get a feel.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
schnebbles
Thanks guys! I'll go look at those links. I might just end up trying the clay with screen and molding it myself. I got different clay and had trouble rolling it out but I think (hope) that a wooden rolling pin and drywall will work. That's what I read. Who knows! I guess I'll find out.

I see all of those use styrofoam. I did have the stuff to do that but I took it back. When the clay hides worked out so well. I got the wrong kind of styrofoam too. I got the kind that's made with little beady things. Now, what to do with that? I will probably throw it in the garbage but I feel bad. It's not worth returning, it cost less that $1.50.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Tzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
Thanks guys! I'll go look at those links. I might just end up trying the clay with screen and molding it myself. I got different clay and had trouble rolling it out but I think (hope) that a wooden rolling pin and drywall will work. That's what I read. Who knows! I guess I'll find out.

I see all of those use styrofoam. I did have the stuff to do that but I took it back. When the clay hides worked out so well. I got the wrong kind of styrofoam too. I got the kind that's made with little beady things. Now, what to do with that? I will probably throw it in the garbage but I feel bad. It's not worth returning, it cost less that $1.50.
beady things?

so you're gonna go with clay? post pictures please if you do.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
schnebbles
lol! it's the white styrofoam, it's much cheaper. This time I got the pink panther kind.

I'm not using the clay b/c I emailed the mfg before I wasted money on the screen and they didn't think it would be good for that.

Now I'm back to the styrofoam and paint - like the youtube vids.

Gonna work on them tonight. And I'll post pics, I love pics!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Allalaskan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzuki View Post

A bowl with some kind of no stick spray would problubly work to....I think.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google