CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY clay hides I made

Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #31
Gnauty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky87 View Post
They look great. I love the cave the best. My only concern is how toxic they may be. I'm sure their fine, but I would definitely not use paint on it that you don't know how harmful it is. Acrylic, for example, might not be the best idea. It can be toxic, and all it takes is for your hide-caves to have any moisture and the paint will come off. Especially with an active snake, that paint would end up right in the water dish. I'm not sure, but I would just keep an eye out for the first few days with it in your tank to see if their is any paint residue anywhere in your tank.
Back when I used to use Fimo and Sculpey all the time, the individually wrapped squares I'd get usually had a big ol' "TOXIC" written on them. That was probably over 15 years ago... I'm pretty sure they've changed things since then due to heightened restrictions on products that kids come into contact with. But I'd recommend double check the clay before using it.

Most other DIY tutorials I've come across for herp accessories generally coat the end-product with a varnish. I would highly recommending a coat of non-toxic varnish on any painted products.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #32
Gnauty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashedmelissa View Post
My cave imploded while it was in the oven
You can ball up wads of aluminum foil. Put them underneath for support when it is in the oven, since the clay does get softer at higher temps.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #33
Aislin
I love these! I now have the perfect project for my kids..especially my son. He'll love the idea of making something for his snake. Great idea.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #34
MrGBB
hey those are pretty cool! thats a good idea im gunna go to michaels arts and crafts to buy some of thi stuff =] i think they sell those 1lb brick of the stuff. but does it have to be sculpy or do the other brands work too? just as long as its non toxic right?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #35
Cornsnake124
I just made one! will post pics tonight!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #36
Stormy
From what I can find, sculpey is non toxic. Yay for google. http://www.sculpey.com/faq/qna/faq-159

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
clay, diy hides, hides