CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
DdotSpot
How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

If you are electrically challenged..hopefully this will be a good tool for you. Obviously there are many different ways that you can do this, but I thought it fitting to post simple and effective step-by-step instructions for an easy design.

DISCLAIMER: If you are under the age of 16, I would recommend adult supervision...remember, you are making an electrical device...electricity will be involved!!!

Ok let's start off with the ingredients....

Here is my proof of purchase. All of these items you should be able to pick up at your local Wally World. If you can't find them there, you might try a local electric supply or Lowes.

Here are the tools that you will need...I have a 12 in 1 screwdriver, but most likely all you'll need is a flat-head. The electrical tape is optional, but HIGHLY recommended.

OK...now for STEP 1:
Cut the exension cord approx. 1.5ft from the pictured end.

STEP 2:
Take the shorter piece of wire...

...and you want to split the two wires by using your razor blade to cut down the VERY center of the two.

Be careful and go slowly, you don't want to mess up and expose the wiring...

If you do, don't worry...electrical tape will patch that right up!

Also...be VERY careful with the sharp object and CUT away from your body...

Not to worry again, electrical tape will patch that right up too!!

Continued on next post...

Old 03-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
DdotSpot
Step 3:
Use the wire strippers and strip about 3/4" to 1" off of the end of each wire.

If you don't have any wire strippers, the razor blade will work fine...just make sure not to cut too deep. Cut a circle AROUND the insulation and pull it off with your fingers.

STEP 4:
Take the other 'cut' end of the cord and do the same thing to it.

STEP 5:
Now take both ends and insert them into your single gang box

STEP 6:
You have to be VERY precise on this part...look for the wire that has the ridges on it...this is the NEUTRAL side...

Now connect BOTH of the ridged wires together by twisting the exposed wire. And put one of your wirenuts(should be included with the dimmer) around the twisted wire

I also suggest putting electrical tape around it to secure it and close up any potential fire hazard...never too safe!

Continued on next post...

Old 03-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
CAV
Hey D,

Would you be willing to re-post this information on the Rack System thread?

Old 03-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
DdotSpot
STEP 7:
Take your dimmer(notice the 2 black wires and 1 green wire) and connect the black wires to the two remaining wires....It does not matter which one you connect them to...

Step 8:
Do not worry about the green wire...just stuff it in the box. This is the grounding wire, because there is no ground on the plug, it won't be used. Now screw the dimmer into your box as shown.

Step 9:
Put on the faceplate...

Step 10:
Your done!

However, I would recommend taping the back of it just to secure the loose wires and close any gaps

Old 03-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
DdotSpot
Please...if I left anything unclear, or you have any questions, please let me know. As I said before this isn't the only way to make one of these, actually I prefer this design over the other one, but its just a hair more expensive(not much though).

Old 03-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
daisy
Dang D,
I am about the stupidest girl on the planet when it comes to all of this building stuff...but I have to say that now I get it (and will be trying this little home project over the weekend!)
Thanks for the visuals (it's the only way I figure this stuff out), and the extra advice.....especially all of those uses for electrical tape...who knew??

Now if only we could get you and Cav your own infomercial......"The Dan and Gary Do-it-Yourself Cornsnake Housing Series"

Old 03-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
CAV
Or maybe "This Old Rack"

Old 03-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
DdotSpot
I need pictures too, which is why I made these instructions with pictures, because most of us dummies require the visuals! I'm glad that it made sense to you, and I hope to hear a report as to how yours turned out.

Daniel

EDIT: ROFL...."This Old Rack"

Old 03-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Spirit
Aaaaand, SAVED! Thanks, Dan! You rule, buddy!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
Serpwidgets
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
Now if only we could get you and Cav your own infomercial......"The Dan and Gary Do-it-Yourself Cornsnake Housing Series"
I'm picturing Kramden and Norton: "But can it core, a, apple?"

"Yes, it can core, a, apple!"

----

Great job man, it couldn't have been made any simpler. Nice illustration of the side effects of not using a razor carefully enough.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google