CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Possible acute kidney assault :(

Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Zombiegirl
Possible acute kidney assault :(

I took Nancy (beardie) to the vet today after her not wanting to eat or drink and he thinks she may have possible kidney issues as one palpated larger than the other...he said that acute kidney issues display as the kidneys being larger than normal, whereas chronic kidney issues cause the kidneys to shrink and are much harder if not impossible to bring back. I work in a clinic but we don't treat reptiles so I am treating my first reptile ever...I have to give her sub-q fluids every other day and a vitamin b12 injection every 48 hours to try to stimulate her appetite. I also found some of this:

http://www.petco.com/product/117291/...Amp-Boost.aspx

and have started her on that...she is not very appreciative but all the dirty looks and squirming to get away is the most fired up I've seen her in a while...I feel horrible for her and I hope I am able to bring her back from this...given that I don't know her age but am guessing somewhere between 8-10 I will take what I can get, but am a realist and realize that she may not pull through so I will just have to do my best...*sigh*

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Nanci
Good luck. If she's not eating, there's a food recipe to syringe feed on bearded dragon.org. Basically poultry baby food diluted with Pedialyte with a pinch of her normal vitamins and calcium, and what is that lizard calorie replacement paste...Jumpstart. Something like 2 tbsp of the baby food, and 1 tsp of jumpstart.

She's at about the end of her lifespan, though...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Alicia P
Oh I hope you can get her fixed up ((hugs))

Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Chip
Wishing you luck. I know she's in good hands.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Nanci
Hugs too! I realize I'm always so fact-based. It's not that I don't care- I guess I'm a solution finder.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Zombiegirl
Thanks guys. Nanci, no worries. I am a realist and realize this may not do a damn bit of good at this point, but won't stop me from trying That's my best guess at her age given that she and Sid were adults when I got them and I've had them for about 5 years now. He is doing great...still eats like a pig and is a fat toad but she's always been the finicky sort.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Nanci
Females have a harder life, in general.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
AliCat37
When Toothless wasn't eating, my vet recommended the repti boost, and Toothless would literally lick it up from the syringe. He has since regained, and surpassed normal eating. Hope your girl does too.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Zombiegirl
Alicat: I think that's what I picked up for her yesterday...she didn't show much interest in eating it tonight but I did poke her 4 different times with needles just prior soooooooo...she may have been a bit miffed about that. I did manage to get it into her though even though she didn't want it

Old 03-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
smigon
Poor kiddo, you are doing the very best for him, just remember that.

Hugs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google