CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Anyone keep crickets?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
Alicia P
I keep my roach colony in a plastic tote (w/ a screen added on the top for ventilation) and my feeders in a small tank. They make hardly any noise, if you walk near the bin you can hear a rustling sound. The only time I touch them is on accident lol. Otherwise I use tongs or small pieces of egg crate. unless I'm cleaning then I use a scooper and wear gloves.

I think it would be easier to roast mealworms than it would be to roast crickets. Mealworms are pretty easy to care for as well. Plus they don't chirp, have very little smell and if one gets away it's because you dropped it and didn't notice.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
Alli_Draggy
I would think so-they're one of the ingredients used at the Audubon insectarium (which is where I had them)-and they also had "chocolate chirp cookies" as an option.

Mealworms are just plain easier to manage than crickets. Just get a bunch, give them some dirt, and sprinkle some oatmeal or wheat germ in, with some cricket water gel stuff. You'll get grain beetles, and then mealworms, and then more beetles, and more mealworms, etc. You can sift them from the bedding quite easily with a strainer.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #13
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Superworms are good dragon food. You just buy a quart-sized bag of food, and 500 superworms, and they last a long time! I kept mine in one of those plastic drawer things from Target.

I gave mine apple slices for moisture.
THAT I can handle. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
SnizzySnazzletooth
Just looking into this subject myself. I like the idea of knowing the food being eaten by the food for my pets. I agree it sounds a little gross to raise roaches, but so many positives; lack of smell/flight/jumping/biting/vertical climbing/cannibalism, longer lifespan, and nutritional value (highest protein, ~half the fat of worms).

My local reptile shop even sells a starter kit for breeding roaches.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google