CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Heat Rock

Old 08-09-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
johnbort2
Heat Rock

Now that I have your attention , I know the dangers of snakes burning themselves on heat rocks. My question though, is, has anyone ever tried a heat rock with a rheostat? To me, if the heat was adjustable, it would serve the same type of purpose that an UTH would? Any comments? I was thinking of trying this and hitting it with a temp gun to check the actual temp of the rock. I have a wooden cage, so an UTH isn't an option for me.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
Chris Steele
That sounds like it might work, I'm not really sure. Ha, I like how you got peoples attention. I have a question too though. Will a UTH work through whiteboard?

Old 08-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
colinmcc
You can use a UTH in a wooden tank.

Either:

a. Get the right type so it can be mounted on the base of the inside of the tank. It is then covered with substrate to avoid burning. The only problem you remain open to is burrowing. You can place tiles/glass over the mat to avoid this though.

b. Mount it elsewhere in the tank. My wooden tanks have the UTH's mounted on the side wall without problems.

You can't mount a UTH on the outside of a wooden viv, it's too well insulated and no heat would transfer. Remember, as wood is a better insulator than glass, the heat radiated from a UTH is retained better in the tank than a glass viv.

I know you hear plenty people mentioning that they need belly heat, but I've heard just as many that insist it's not a requirement, including my local reptile place.

I've kept corns with side mounted heat mats for 13 years now without problems. Never had a burn and had two regurges in the whole time, both of those from a female who'd just laid eggs and was fine once she'd had a bit more time to recouperate.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
graffixcs
Plexiglass over the UTH works just as well as glass inside the viv. It is a little more durable than glass IMO.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmcc
You can use a UTH in a wooden tank.

Either:

a. Get the right type so it can be mounted on the base of the inside of the tank. It is then covered with substrate to avoid burning. The only problem you remain open to is burrowing. You can place tiles/glass over the mat to avoid this though.
Would this type be sold at your "local" pet store?? I haven't heard of this type. and when you say you put yours uth on the side. is the side made of glass? not wood. right.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:02 AM   #6
colinmcc
Someone mentions a couple of mats meade for inside wooden tanks here ...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=9

... I presume these ones are laid under the substrate.

I use habistat ones and mount them on a wooden side of the viv. Always done it this way, never had any problems.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:51 AM   #7
Knight_errant
Many years ago I purchased a heat rock as an accessory for my snake's habitat and after hearing that they can be burned on them I took a large thermal sock, put the heat rock in it, twisted the sock and reversed it, twisted it and reversed it again, then tied the top of the sock around the cord. This presented 3 layers of thermal insulation all around the heat rock to prevent burns. Of course, I had to admit, that I had NEVER seen any snake lie on a heat rock before or after.

Later, I found our about UTHs and used that instead. Occasionally I'd find a corn in the vicinity of the mat, but still have never seen one directly over that area. Having tried different substrates and means to insulate it should they find it too warm I've never had any luck with finding my corns over that area other than passing from one side of the tank to another.

When the movers packed me up prior to moving back down here to Florida they ripped the UTH off the tank and I found it's warm enough in the apartment (same temperature in the tank as it was when I lived in Washington) that I have not bothered to utilize the UTH. Needless to say, my corns will now occasionally utilize that part of the tank. I guess they just did not want or nead the extra heat.

Regardless, I've never had any problems with them digesting their food or any other problems at all in the 4 years I've had these two. Keeping them in a 50 gallon viv with multiple hides as well as several plastic plants gives them plenty of options.

Erik

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google