CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

My right to bear arms is under fire right now.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
"Power" being very flexible in this case.

Your neighbor has the capability of taking any of your rights, should they choose to do so. But like I said, this definition of rights is largely useless.
Excuse me, and with all due respect, but that's just plain silly and frivolous to use as an argument in this discussion. "Rights" here are being discussed in the context of governments recognition (and lack thereof) of this currently fluid term (subject to change without notice, apparently), and not at all related to a private individual commiting a crime against you.

Quote:
"Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement; that is, rights are the fundamental normative rules about what is allowed of people or owed to people, according to some legal system, social convention, or ethical theory.[1] Rights are of essential importance in such disciplines as law and ethics, especially theories of justice and deontology."

Nothing in there about a right being invalidated by violation. A right isn't something that is inviolable, that cannot be taken by any means. A right is something defined by law, which is a construct of human society. Law isn't a tangible thing, but something we choose in order to belong to a community.
Sorry, but not as is proclaimed in our Declaration of Independence:
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Emphasis added by me.

Source: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Yes, the creation of the USA was based on the understanding that certain rights are inherent in simply by BEING born, and not privileges granted and withheld by any other agency proclaiming the RIGHT to do so. The purpose of the Constitution of the USA was to create the federal government and within that document define explicitly those powers granted to that federal government. Anything NOT granted within that document or subsequently added via amendments were NOT powers available to the US Government by default. Quite the reverse, actually. But the interpretation has now been perverted to where the government now has rights and WE only have privileges granted by the government.

Your splitting of hairs by trying to PC the definition of "right" with some arcane definition you found on the internet does not refute my observation in the least. Of course the official and politically correct definition will be molded by politically acceptable massaging to make it appear that those doing the defining are completely justified in transforming *true* rights to actual privileges doled and and controlled at their command by legislation. There is actually quite a bit of power in being able to alter the definitions of past laws to fit current political expediency. For example, examine the transformation of the term "felony" and see how it has expanded frighteningly to more widely expose greater sections of the populace to penalties once reserved for the most serious of violent crimes. This sort of thing is not at all unusual, but few people are aware of it till they find themselves with handcuffs on them.

Fact of the matter is, I see little difference between what is happening today and the time when the Declaration of Independence was penned. Only the object and focus of the REASON for that document has changed from a foreign subject to a domestic one.

IMHO, of course.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
beautifullywild77
Wow very well put Rich!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Nova_C
"Endowed by their creator".

So what does that mean? Where does the government get that power that you are so paranoid about? The muzzle of a gun?

No, from the social agreement of the governed. The government acts with power granted by the governed, with the implicit agreement that the power granted will be used in order to protect and advance the interests of the governed.

I don't get why you're suddenly accusing me of collusion with some kind of political agenda by trying to 'pc' the definition of right. You show me any kind of definition of a right where it is not granted by law. The Declaration that is only an authority within the US (People outside of the US have rights as well) is just words. The power that you attribute to that document is power wielded by the law. A law, I might add, that is defined and changed by the government which acts with public consent.

And don't give me any lines about the government not acting with the public's consent. It absolutely has the public's consent. Every single person who votes, who pays their taxes, who depends on the infrastructure of roads, power, water, the protection of the police, fire and ambulance services all have given and continue to give their consent.

Including you, Rich. This board exists on infrastructure built mostly by government funds around the world. You give your consent every time you log on.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
ceduke
Err...I'm sorry, I know this is a serious topic, but every time I scroll past the thread title I think of a ban on tank tops, and smile a little. Anywho, I'll go away now...

Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
Outcast
Quote:
So what does that mean? Where does the government get that power that you are so paranoid about? The muzzle of a gun?
If you continue reading, it continues to say certain unalienable rights... And, goes on to tell us what we should do in case our rights repeatedly bet infringed upon by our government... At least that is what I am getting from it. No wonder our Government wants to remove the Constitution because it "gets in the way of progress".

Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #26
Rich Z
Quote:

No, from the social agreement of the governed. The government acts with power granted by the governed, with the implicit agreement that the power granted will be used in order to protect and advance the interests of the governed.

I don't get why you're suddenly accusing me of collusion with some kind of political agenda by trying to 'pc' the definition of right. You show me any kind of definition of a right where it is not granted by law. The Declaration that is only an authority within the US (People outside of the US have rights as well) is just words. The power that you attribute to that document is power wielded by the law. A law, I might add, that is defined and changed by the government which acts with public consent.

And don't give me any lines about the government not acting with the public's consent. It absolutely has the public's consent. Every single person who votes, who pays their taxes, who depends on the infrastructure of roads, power, water, the protection of the police, fire and ambulance services all have given and continue to give their consent.

Including you, Rich. This board exists on infrastructure built mostly by government funds around the world. You give your consent every time you log on.
I presume that your definition of "consent" as indicated in your above post is something akin to "if you breath while on American soil, then you, by default, consent to everything the government decrees." Do I have that right?

So tell me, how would one withdraw this consent that you speak of?

And I AM giving you lines about the government NOT acting with the public's consent. How many people here have consented to the government being hell bent on wrecking this country by spending money that will not be possible to pay back to the entities it is borrowing from? How many people even KNOW where that money is all going to that is being borrowed to even know if they wish to consent to it or not?

And tell me, what exactly is it that I am consenting to, in your opinion, every time I log into this site?

Heck, the more I read your post, the less I think that the word "consent" means the same thing to you that it does to me. Because if you really believe that all of us US citizens truly, WILLINGLY consent to everything our government is doing, well, me thinks that you are suffering a bit from

Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
tsst
I would venture a bet that NOBODY consents to EVERYTHING our gov does. JMO

Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #28
Nova_C
You do implicitly, though.

Unless you're withholding taxes, or actively sabotaging your government, your consent is implied. I'm not saying you agree with the government, because you clearly don't.

But you consent to their actions by participating in the system. You don't know everything the government does. You disagree with much of what the government does. But you make use of the services the government provides and the agreement of citizenship is that you will consent to being governed.

Why do you think they call direct actions against your government treason? Even if you disagree with the government, the lawful actions you can take to redress those grievances are also spelled out by that contract. You are consenting to abide by that contract.

Unless you really are actively sabotaging the government, or shooting civil servants. In which case, no, you are clearly not consenting to being governed.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #29
Rich Z
Quote:
You do implicitly, though.

Unless you're withholding taxes, or actively sabotaging your government, your consent is implied. I'm not saying you agree with the government, because you clearly don't.

But you consent to their actions by participating in the system. You don't know everything the government does. You disagree with much of what the government does. But you make use of the services the government provides and the agreement of citizenship is that you will consent to being governed.

Why do you think they call direct actions against your government treason? Even if you disagree with the government, the lawful actions you can take to redress those grievances are also spelled out by that contract. You are consenting to abide by that contract.

Unless you really are actively sabotaging the government, or shooting civil servants. In which case, no, you are clearly not consenting to being governed.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
Nova_C
I get the feeling you're not debating in good faith.

All right then.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google